Brake Reservoir broke

Mart

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

If while my car is being serviced, and the brake reservior brakes, while there changing the fluid, is it my responsibility pay for the repair and labour of this, or does the garage have to cover it as it broke while in their possession, and was working fine before!

Cheers for any help!

If it broke while they were working on it and it is their poor workmanship that caused the problem IMO they have to cover the cost. If it broke because it was faulty they will argue that it was going to happen at any time and that its not their fault, you'll have to argue the point as to which was the cause, can you post some photo's of what happened

Its unlikely that the master cylinder reservoir would ever break as its a passive part, it has no moving parts. They broke it plain and simple and they should pay for it, any court will see in your favour, all they would need to do to change the fluid is either keep topping it up as they pump it through or connect a pressure bleeding system to the cap and push it through.Neither of these operations should result in any undue stress on the reservoir component.

It is a common fault, they go brittle with age and when pressure bleeding they fail. IMO its just one of those things sorry

mawhitey said:
It is a common fault, they go brittle with age and when pressure bleeding they fail. IMO its just one of those things sorry

EDIT Mine has split , and i was only bleeding it at 10 psi !!

That's what they said, it as a common fault, with the age of the car! On the plus side, they only charged me the part and not the labour to repair it!

If you use a vacuum bleeder you wont get the problem of them splitting as there is no pressure on the container