How do I remove glass from paint ????

Sinny71

S55 LKS
Reaction score
I know this one sounds a bit on the strange side so I'll explain.

Some kind hearted young chav decided it would be a good idea to use my car for target practice and hurled his/her empty bottle at my car last night. The bottle shattered and has scratched hell out of the rear quarter panel. Some of the scratches have gone through to the bare metal so its gonna need some paint to sort it out.

In the mean time though there seems to be a load of crushed glass embedded in the paint which I'd like to remove. The last thing I want to do is damage it further (even though I'll get it painted in the next few weeks) so I didn't want to just give it a go without checking for advice.

Anyone got any bright idea's or is it just gonna be a case of taking it slowly and doing my best????

i would say wash it off with a trickle of hose pipe or watering can to start with. anything else will scratch it more.

If you could get a tab of fresh new blue tak and heat it so it is slightly warm then place it gently gently on the surface after rinsing with water you maybe able to lift some ingrain stuff. But obviously dont use the same side twice.

I would suggest a hose, or a foam gun if you have it as the shampoo will lubricate the solution and help lift away any loose particles without inflicting further scratches.

Cheers for the tips guys. I've got a power washer so I may give that a go to foam things up. Can then try the hose on 'dribble' to try to rinse things off.

I thinks its going to need a respray but I may try touching things up myself. Worst case scenario is that I f**k things up and it needs a respray anyway.

im suprised a bottle didnt dent it too if it hit with enough force to smash it. i hate little ******** who do this sort of thing, no respect for your hard earned cash!

Yikes, that crappy news... but at least it didn't dent it. Advice as above, I'd try power washing it out, failing that leave it to the bodyshop, as I wouldn't fancy claying to remove glass - too much danger of inflicting further damage.

I've managed to get the glass out using a combination of everything advised above. Cheers everyone.
Its looking more and more like I'm going to claim through the insurance as I have spotted a small dent on the door. There are lso a few chips on the tailgate that were caused by the previous owner, that I will try to get sorted on the insurance.
I'll go through to the stealers this afternoon for a quote and see what is said.

Ok, finally got things sorted with the insurance and the car goes in for paint the week after next. Now I'm after some advice fo when I get it back.

At the beginning of the year I got the car detailed, and they used a range of Meguiars products. They did a great job but I'd rather not shell out again and would prefer to do it myself when I get it back.

I have a load of Autoglym products that I've used before and I lso have some Mequiars Show car glaze and some Collinite 476s. I'm really after some advice on whether this is a good mix for protecting the new paint or whether I'd need to buy something else..??

I've also got some Megs Quik Clay but the car was clayed when it was detailed so I'm presuming I'll not need to use this.

I'd wait abit to let the paint harden before doing anything. It won't need claying as it'll be brand new paint but a good polish and seal will do it the world of good. You can lend my PC polisher if you want mate?

Cheers Damian, I may take you up on that. How long do you reckon I should leave the paint to harden?? Have visions of half the car beading and looking good while the new paint wont be..

Depends on whether the bodyshop bake it off or not. We've seen some soft as ice cream new paint jobs, but we've also seen a lot of new paint that is far harder than any factory paint, due to rapid baking under IR lights. Might be worth asking the bodyshop on how they will do their work, and whether the paint will be fully cured or not, as it varies from bodyshop to bodyshop. The products you have are fine enough for a decent protective coating and look if you don't fancy starting over with anything new. :)