Touch up paint technique

OvettC

Uhm... what next...
Reaction score
Hello, probaby a really simple thing but my silver audi A4 has numerous stone chips on the front as it was a previous motorway crawler, it's not quite at the bonnet respray stage so i have acquired the official audi paint and lacquer for it but no being much of a Rolf Harris when it comes to paint i thought i'd ask for some advice on the best way to apply this? lacquer first then paint then more lacquer? hair dryer? any tips?

Cheers :beerchug:

I use a cocktail stick to fill the 'hole' where the stone has hit...
Let it dry naturally and the blob of touch up will shrink...
Polish it down flat...especially around the edges...
And repeat.
You normally need to do each chip 2 or 3 times to get it level - get it right, and assuming the touch up stick is a good match - and you will be lucky to spot the chips.

Thanks to you both, i will get busy this afternoon with the biggest ones and see how it goes.

i use masking tape, roll a small piece up with yr fingertips so's to get a fine nozzle looking thing at the end then put a small drop into the chip..

well i've used a combination of the suggested techniques and they all work well depending on the type of scratch or chip so again many thanks!, now the next question.... I was parked in Tesco the other day and returned to find that a small part of my GmbH Front spoiler has melted! I was parked behind a Scooby with a hooooge...exhaust

Is it worth sanding and filling and respraying as it has bubbled right up and distorted at the lip or is this a cheap to buy bit of kit?. :gun2:

It's important NOT to use the cr@ppy brush that comes with most touch up paints, buy a decent one from an art shop, it will make life much easier.
I have found that colour-matched car paint from Halfords is very good, costs about £10 for a spray tin, but has worked wonders on those bumper extermeties that tend to get scuffed for my last 2 cars (wouldn't recommend doing panels with it though!)

Many thanks for that, i have just invested in a decen brush as although i'm no picasso there's no sense in making things hard for yourself. I notice you have a silver audi as well, is touching up a bit of a game for you as well?