help needed.. calm..

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
Don't know, but these days, I always seem to be in a rush. Heck, even if I am not in a rush, I always seem to be ragging the car to death. I can't seem to help myself. I keep telling myself to change up, but don't. Fuel alone is killing me at the mo - 25mpg. Its no good. I may need to drive a more relaxing car. I am safe - but far to fast & far too stressful. Maybe I need some more relaxing music?

I know what you mean - I had to make a conscious effort to relax a bit - changing the music does help too... but love the car for what it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

25MPG, you must be using it, especially if that with motorway driving.

It's a mental decision thing. Make a rule, stick to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take just one week and don't break the speed limit. Everywhere. I mean everwhere. No exception, keep it at or below. If you can manage that, you'll be able to calm when you need to. Try it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Taking up the challenge? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nahh mine's on 24-26mph and I don't drive like a nutter...

I have to say, I have slowed down a lot on the motorways recently and I am a lot less stressed. There's a perverse pleasure in cruising along getting overtaken by stressed out BMW drivers, then going past them in the middle/inside lane (which you were always in) at the next traffic jam!

In some ways I reckon there's more skill involved as well - because you aren't flying in front of everyone, you have to be able to predict peoples behaviour a lot better and have really good awareness of what's going on around you, because you're in the middle of it instead of in front of it.

Go to Autoroute and calculate the difference in journey time that 80mph compared to 100mph (for e.g., not that we'd do those speeds....) and it's not much....

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

We've seen you at Buxton /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Strangely I do seem to do not bad on fuel. At the last Scottish meet I got just under 23MPG. TT owning mate on the same run got just over 20MPG. We weren't hanging about either. My best is 34.1 over a whole tank, putting that in perspective.

Anyway, off topic, just waiting to see if Lee is going to try the slower route for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

We've seen you at Buxton /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, off topic, just waiting to see if Lee is going to try the slower route for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Yeah me too - let us know how it goes Lee!

Well Dido & Christian A are helping - but waiting to load up Cafe Del Mar complete discograffi, that should do the trick.

Today I tried to calm it. Did quite well. You sometimes forget some of the more endearing characteristic of the car. I guess I was fixated on 4000+ gear changes. Today I really started to appreciate the power swell on moderate upshifts. 2-3000 2nd to 3rd, little blip & swell of torque - nice, same on 3rd to 4th.

Sometime I get concerned that if you don't use all the revs in 2nd the car looses something. Is that right?

Having said that executed a fantastic 4th to 2nd drive by on a honda Civic type r yesterday - fantastic.

Lee, by "loses something" are you talking about the ECU adjusting and allowing less power than it did if you rag it often?

Apparently, some Volvo ECUs did this. If you didn't drive the car hard, total availabile power would reduce in favour of economy. Driving the car hard again would bring it back.

On a different note, somone told me (can anyone confirm this?) that the Civic Type-R engine will actually reduce power if it's ragged in the first 10,000 miles. It does this to protect engine longevity. Sound's wrong to me, anyone?

I haven't heard anything about the S3 being subject to either of these things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I am constantly aware of this montronic ECU thingie. The more you read, the more you wonder. I do believe that the car is constantly adapting to the manner and environment in which it is driven.

If you don't regularly use all of the rev range, in all gears, the ECU will adapt and consequently expect early upshifts.

I've got dodgey electrics and consequently the battery runs dead every couple of months. You can defo feel the engine adjusting and coming back to life after 3-4 good runs.

Also I am concerned about the mechanics in 2nd gear. Last VAG I had stayed tight in 2nd for 4 years! because I shifted up too soon.

When I've driven other quick cars I've been amazed at the flexiblity of the power in 2nd. I am sure a well sorted S3 should with time will be more usable in second.

Then again, I have little evidence to back (other than 5 years exp of VAG cars) this up and could be talking b0110ck$

A chip would make it more useable in 2nd for sure.. I'm not sure if the ECU adapts that often - I've asked lots of different people and never really got a concrete answer - I'd love to know because sometimes it feels like it does, but other times feels like it doesn't :s

Is your car standard?

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
Don't know, but these days, I always seem to be in a rush. Heck, even if I am not in a rush, I always seem to be ragging the car to death. I can't seem to help myself. I keep telling myself to change up, but don't. Fuel alone is killing me at the mo - 25mpg. Its no good. I may need to drive a more relaxing car. I am safe - but far to fast & far too stressful. Maybe I need some more relaxing music?

[/ QUOTE ]

valium.gif

A big car with automatic transmission - usually - helps as well (Tiptronic already becomes dangerous though). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
When I drive fast compact - or sports cars I can hardly resist putting the pedal down, every time I find myself speeding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Whereas in a big car I'm far more relaxed, just enjoying the ride. It's a matter of responding to the car I guess...

Now with my S8 you don't notice the speed, it's a relaxing ride even at highly illegal speeds, so there we go again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif In the city no prob, but especially at open roads it's so tempting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh well, let's see, where's my Valium... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif