basic polisher

tracer

'96 a4 1.8 se
Reaction score
hi all, need some advice,

i have gotten a hold of an old black n decker random orbital sander. i have converted it so that it has variable speed control as it was a bit beastly at first being a single speed of 10,000 osc/min.

next job i guess is to replace the pad holder, will just any fit? had a look on cleanandshiney.co.uk but no pictures or details on fitting. i have emailed them but no reply as yet.

do the pad holders have a standard hole, so i can do a straight swap, or do they have a fitment ready for a specific polisher like meguiars own one for example.

anyone got some of the lake country range?

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Details.asp?objecttradersearch=1&GroupID=5024

picofsander.jpg

currentpadholderandfitting.jpg

somethinglikethiswouldbegood.jpg

cheers mate, will do, site seems to be down just now but will have a look by over weekend, thanks for the link

:faint: How much do I not like that plastic guard/overhang! Careful tracer.

dsc00794.jpg

it just unclips mate, but yeah i'm gonna be overly careful with it in general

still hoping to get a pad mount to give it a bit more space but like mark said i may just have to go with a close matching velcro pad to suit.

quick update guys, got a backing plate and a selection of pads from http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

had to tap out the hole to accomodate the new backing plate, fits perfectly now. also gonna remove the dust extraction panel , again this just clips off so i'l just have to cover up the gap it leaves behind and then its ready for action

dsc00795.jpg

dsc00796.jpg

dsc00797.jpg

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the polishing. In my experience of using a random orbital polisher on my A4, I needed to use small 4 inch spot pads to get anywhere.

I found a rotary polisher much more suited to the very hard Audi paint.