Car cleaning advice req'd

miked2372

Reaction score
All,

Just (last friday) picked up a brand new A3 2.0T S-Line Special Edition in Misano Red with 20-spoke 2-piece alloys :yahoo:

I want to take good care in keeping it clean and polishing etc and want to buy a new load of gear to help me. I already have a gift set of Autoglym stuff at home that someone bought me last xmas (a hint) but also wanted to know what's best to use in the way of sponges/cleaning brushes etc.

I was looking at the Flash system as a way of helping inbetween washes and then polishing/waxing every so often!

Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

Misano Red. Nice :) I should have gone for a sensible colour instead of sodding black again. Oh well....

Now others may have different opinions but from new I reckon you should forget about polish, it's wax you want and I'm a big fan of the Meguiars range of products. It's a step down from the silly priced stuff like Swissol and Zymol, nothing wrong with them but it is taking car care to a whole new level if you know what I mean. Also you tend to find that people move from AutoGlym to Meguiars and not the other way around. Nothing wrong with AG shampoo but I certainly wouldn't use their polish.

I think you can't go wrong with Megs NXT Car Wash for say once a week washing, a wax with NXT Tech Wax every couple of months and a top up wax with NXT Spray Wax whenever you feel like it. The Gold Class range is also recommended. Check out www.meguiars.co.uk The foam applicators are good too but I prefer to use good quality microfibre cloths. The cotton mitts from places like Halfords are good for washing as you're less likely to get swirls but no one dies if you use a sponge. Also, try to use just the normal shampoo on your wheels from day one and hopefully the wax will aid cleaning in the future. Avoid the acid based stuff unless you really have to use it. I've had my A3 since June 6th and so far haven't had to use anything stronger than whats in the bucket already.

And the Flash system. Well I know it has it's fans but personally I wouldn't touch it with yours :rolleyes:

I agree the flash device is not the best my freind uses it on his Landroer discovery and it scratches in the end.
Wax is great I use Zymol but I must admit it is hard work but the results are great!!!
The kit are expensive but last ages and you get tons of Wax 40 - 50 goes if not more depending on car.

Did mine again at weekend looking better
vbpgimage.php

Use a washmit to apply the shampoo, using the 2 bucket method.

One bucket with the shampoo (clean water) and the other bucket for rinsing the washmit.

Megs NXT wash is good, dry the car with a waffle weave drying towel (megs one is good).

Apply wax every few months..

All thats needed really.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated:thumbsup:

Looks like I'll get some Meguiars gear and use the 2 bucket method.

What about the wheels? I used to use Wonderwheels but looking on here there aren't many fans and as the new wheels are 2 piece I don't really want that to go anywhere near them. Is just regular washing the best bet? What's the best sealant/protector to use on them?

miked2372 said:
What about the wheels? I used to use Wonderwheels but looking on here there aren't many fans and as the new wheels are 2 piece I don't really want that to go anywhere near them. Is just regular washing the best bet? What's the best sealant/protector to use on them?

If you are going to wash the car regularly (once every week or two) then you'll be fine with whats left in your bucket and maybe a soft brush. Or if you can be ***** you could always take the wheels off and clean and wax them, the wax will stop the gunk sticking as badly for a while. I really would avoid the acid based stuff though. Something with a bit more go in it would be a delimonene (orange based) cleaner. Pop down to your local janitorial suppliers and a 5l will last you forever with the right dilution.

Cheers for all the replies (especially Rich), I now feel a little more confident in what I need to do to keep the car looking as good as it does now. I'm glad I chose the red as it really stands out and gets you and the car noticed!!

The wheels are already looking a little black so I think I'm going to have to clean them at least once a week and I'm going to get a decent brush as these 20-spokes look like they are going to be a pain:keule:

I washed, clay-barred, polished and waxed mine this weekend, all Megs stuff. Also bought some of this stuff. Seems to be working at the moment, it's been p1ssing down since tuesday and it's still clean (or at least looks it).

joost said:
I washed, clay-barred, polished and waxed mine this weekend, all Megs stuff. Also bought some of this stuff. Seems to be working at the moment, it's been p1ssing down since tuesday and it's still clean (or at least looks it).

I did the same last weekend! Took me 5 hours (I'm getting faster)..

Washed with Megs NTX
Dried
Claybar'd
Washed
Dried
Polished with Megs #80 using PC
Then Waxed with P21s

Was looking really good until I parked it under a tree in work! Now its covered in SAP.

Nevermind, i'm sure a wash will bring it back to life.