chipped windscreen

matt5594

Reaction score
i seem to have a stone chip on the drivers side just above my eye line, thought it was a crushed bug and tried desperately to wipe it off with the wipers till it dawned on me it wasnt a bug but worse :/

it hasnt cracked all the way through as i can only feel it on the outside.

any suggestions on where/how much it will be to repair this.

i dont have any sort of dealer warranty as its a 1999 a3 t sport.

If the crack is within the driver vision area an over a certain size you are not allowed to repair it.

Insurance is probably the best route.

Covenant said:
If the crack is within the driver vision area an over a certain size you are not allowed to repair it.

Insurance is probably the best route.
any idea what size is the limit? only had the car about 3 weeks, grr! :(

Whack the windscreen FROM THE INSIDE with the base of your hand. You'll be amazed how easily they go. I did a couple that didn't have cracks in...:mad:

Eeef said:
Whack the windscreen FROM THE INSIDE with the base of your hand. You'll be amazed how easily they go. I did a couple that didn't have cracks in...:mad:
edited, as i was a bit freaked out having suddenly gone from tiny chip to huge (its now a 15cm) crack in the windscreen, without realising what you were getting at with the advice, until aldo pointed it out.

im a little slow, but im getting myself revo'd soon :)

Yep,

£60/£70 on your insurance, it does not come off your no claims, and you wilget a lovely new windscreen.
I am going to do the same with mine as my windscreen is all peppered from motorway driving.
Your insurance company will offer you to use Auto glass or RAC Auto windscreens, I reckomend RAC Auto windscreens as on prev ocasions I have had problems with Autoglass!

just got off the phone with my insurance people, they've arranged with rac auto windscreen (autoglass were too far away and couldnt deal directly with my insurance company) for me to drop the car off on weds morning and pick it up after work. £50 my windscreen excess costs me and doesnt affect my no claims, which i was the most afraid of.

they'll call me tomorrow to confirm..

since i need to go to work that day and i have to leave the car there, will they need my keys so they can do the work inside (a workshop i guess?) or can i park it up and they'll do the work where-ever its parked. obviously i dont want them driving around in my car whilst im not there to watch over them and i dont have the "valet" key either, so it would be a proper flip key i need to hand over to them.

replacing the windscreen might be a good thing, as it is atm, theres loads of sticker residue from pockets and random labels on there so a new window will be nice. will they use a windscreen for specifically for audi a3s or generic ones? (if they even exist)

only small problem is that i did not declare the fact the car has window tints when i did the policy, i was going to get round to it then this happens :/

the front cracked windscreen isnt fully tinted, only a horrible strip across the top which was done by the previous owner (grr!) which i'll be glad to get rid of tbh.

will the rac auto windscreen people kick up a fuss about this and grass me up to my insurance people? or will they just be told, "hi, yes you have this person coming in on this date with an a3, please replace front windscreen at a cost of £50 to cover the excess"

They will need to get inside the car to remove the old screen and fit the new screen properly. RAC are pretty trustworthy tbh, I wouldnt worry about the car.
They won't replace tints, they will only match the existing factory tint.
You will however have to pay them excess when you pick the car up.

i have no problem about no having the tint replaced on the front windscreen, i didnt like it anyhow.

what im worried about is them suddenly going, "wait a minute, we're not doing the work as you've got tints which are undeclared on your policy" (i have to take the paperwork to them as well) and then being lumbered with a £400ish bill for a new windscreen..

They should replace like for like, the front windscreen shouldn't be tinted any more than factory?

its not totally tinted, just a strip at the top about 10cm, which i hate it. just hope it doesnt mess up the claim/work from going through. *fingers crossed*

Oh right,

yeah same as mine, that be ok-it's factory standard mate.

Si

im pretty sure its not factory standard the thing i got on there, it definately goes further down the windscreen than standard models that i've seen.

skanky said:
im pretty sure its not factory standard the thing i got on there, it definately goes further down the windscreen than standard models that i've seen.

Oh right, well if they replace with a standard windscreen it's better than nothing, I may call mine up soon and get mine replaced I think.

woo picked it up after work and nice shiny new windscreen, yay! now if i could keep it nice and new for a few weeks.. :)

It will have the logo in the bottom left corner usually :)

I called my insurers last night, new windscreen going in next week, mine too will not be Audi-Apparantly you have to agree with your insurance company that they agree to pay OEM parts!
The glass is the same spec as current Audi with a Shade strip at the top.

I thought the light sensor was built into the glass but it's actually on the Interior rear view mirror!

i got one with a gray shade around the edges. huge plus is that all the crap stickers and pockets are now gone so i have a nice clear screen.

who are you going through rac or autoglass?

V good, RAC all the way-From prev experience I will never EVER go with Autoglass again!

Yay, Got me screen fitted today, RAC Autoglass Top job again, they fitted Pilkington glass to the car which is ok, also has the top tint strip on, Just need a new tax disc holder now :)

yeah from my experience, i'd use rac autoglass again, fingers crossed i wont need to in the near future!