Service Due - AVS or Fixed?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The AVS on my 2.4SE is telling me a service is due in 700 miles or 220 says. The car is 3 years old, and has done 57,000 miles. The previous owner did about 19,000 miles a year maintained it on AVS. Last service was at 39,000 (althought it had a multitronic oil change at 48,000).

My average mileage will be much lower, something like 9,000 a year maximum. So, I'm thinking of switching to fixed yearly intervals. Also, I'm likely to use a good local indie.

Any one got any views on this?

Also, is switching the car to fixed intervals an easy task, or is it a dealer-only job?

Thanks in advance, guys.

my experience is that if you do a very low monthly mileage on AVS, it'll report only about 7300 miles till the next service anyway. Switching to interval servicing will give you longer service intervals!

Switching is done by vag-com or dealer.

Thanks, Madvw. Having decided to stay on AVS, I rang four outlets for quotes for a 3rd AVS. Two Audi centres close to where I live (SE London) quoted between £365 & £380. Fontain, the indie I bought the car from quoted £310, but I then have to add about £25 for the cost of the schlepp round the M25, and then hang around Uxbridge for a day.

I then rang the Audi centre in Eastbourne, where I have family & visit on a regular basis. They quoted £315, including a loan car. So I've booked it in there. I still have to add the petrol cost for the trip, but I'd be making it anyway to see my folks. Instead of a day wandering round Uxbridge High Street, I get a free day at the beach & my Mum's cooking.