Rainwater

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had a water butt installed recently (hosepipe ban, drought order etc. etc.) & have just washed the car for the first time using rainwater from the butt.

Although it has a slight greenish tinge to it, it's fantastic for cleaning the car. Already warmed by the sunshine, it is much less streaky than tap water & seems to take longer to dry, so even on a hot day, I have time to finish washing all of it without having to worry about dry streaks on the bit I washed first. It also leather dry very easily.

From now on, I will always use rainwater until such time as the hosepipe ban is lifted, and I can go back to using the Flash cleaner.

I'm in the process of a new build and will be installing a rainwater harvesting system from the gutters with a 6000litre tank

am looking forward to all the advantages mentioned above and you forgot to mention its free too :)

mattyboy199 said:
how does the hose work ? a pump etc ?
Not sure if it's me you're asking, but at the moment, I just use a bucket. There's plenty of water pressure through the tap. I'm hoping to replace the standard tap with a brass one that will take a hosepipe union.

Can't wait to have my tw@tty neighbour report me to the water police for breaking the hosepipe ban, only to find our I'm using rainwater :moa:

ribena said:
I'm in the process of a new build and will be installing a rainwater harvesting system from the gutters with a 6000litre tank

am looking forward to all the advantages mentioned above and you forgot to mention its free too :)

6000 litres!!!!! Mine holds 225, and that's more than plenty the way it rains round here.

If you have got a Karcher pressure washer you can put the hose into the water butt and wash away like normal.

jeff - it will also feed all the toilets and washing machine and was only £200 dearer than the 3000 litre one so i should never need the mains backup :)