Badger5Sky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Tips for cleaning car w/o a hosepipe due to ban.

We have a hose pipe ban in place in the SE and wondered if anyone had any tips on cleaning your car w/o using a hose. I've heard watering cans are quite usefull?

cheers.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    carwashes are also very good, they wont get it "spotless" but gets most of the dirt off. My Rs4 looks spangly bar the wheels.
    Plus its nice and easy ! (isnt that a shampoo ?)

Administrator

Status
    thats the strange thing, carwash's and jet wash's all seem to be raking it in around hertforshire at the moment, i guess its beause they recycle the water back into the system
    Last edited by Olly_K; 11th June 2006 at 11:30.

1st Gear

Status
    cheers for that guys.

Not too keen on the car wash option so think i'll look into the water butt.

Gonna need to buy a butt as dont already have one. They look petty cheap tho.

What kind of power output should the pump be?

thats me

Status
    my tip is to live up north no hose pipe bans here

ive just wasted gallons cleaning my fence and decking with the jet wash
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse
    my tip is to live up north no hose pipe bans here

ive just wasted gallons cleaning my fence and decking with the jet wash

do they sell 300mile hoses

1st Gear

Status
    There was a post on the TT forums recently where someone asked Thames about this as they wanted to make sure it was all ok before they went ahead. Thames view was that you are not permitted to fill any container from the mains supply with the intention of using a pump to wash your car with, such as hooking it up to a karcher or submersible pump for a hose. Using it with collected rain or grey water would be ok on the other hand.

5th Gear

Status
    I wouldn't put my car through a car wash due to Swirl marks from the brushes

I just use a watercan to pre rinse the car-start from the roof down, then 1 bucket soapy to wash, then 2 buckets to rinse clean
    Luckily we have no ban up here anyway

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM
    There was a post on the TT forums recently where someone asked Thames about this as they wanted to make sure it was all ok before they went ahead. Thames view was that you are not permitted to fill any container from the mains supply with the intention of using a pump to wash your car with, such as hooking it up to a karcher or submersible pump for a hose. Using it with collected rain or grey water would be ok on the other hand.
    So how do all the mobile car cleaners get round this? There was one o/s my work last week and he cleaned over 10 cars with a hosepipe connected to a tank in his van. Think i'll be phoning Southern Water 1st for confirmation what is ok.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've got a water butt, but the water in it is green & a bit scummy. I've been using a bucket & sponge to clean the car during the hoespipe ban. However, if the drought order is granted, I won't even be able to do that.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

6th Gear

Status
    I know a guy who filled a portable swimming pool with 15k litres of water. Thames said it was ok. I can't even wash my car once a month. :-(
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Brum brum

Status
    Remember you can still use a good old bucket! I actually think I use more water using a bucket to wash my car than using a hosepipe - as when you throw it over the car most of it ends up coming back all over you! I'm averaging about 18 buckets full (180 litres) to wash my car.

The most annoying thing is you can't blast the dead flies out of radiator grille and panel gaps. Front of the car will no doubt be a serious fly graveyard by the end of the summer.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_TOBES
    So how do all the mobile car cleaners get round this? There was one o/s my work last week and he cleaned over 10 cars with a hosepipe connected to a tank in his van. Think i'll be phoning Southern Water 1st for confirmation what is ok.
    Hosepipe bans affect domestic users, not business users. Drought orders are a whole different ball game. Check your water supplier's website for FAQs.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Coupe S2 2.2 20v Turbo

Status
    I currently work for a top golf club, we get around any drought restrictions by maintaining our own resevoir and using treated water from the sewage works nearby to water the course. At the peak of the summer we will put anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000 litres of water onto the course a night!

Think I might park the car on the 17th green overnight and wash it.

5th Gear

Status
    I have to use a bucket as the car's parked on the road outside the house and i live on the first floor flat

I can do a good job with five buckets - 2 to get it wet, 1 to wash and 2 to rinse afterwards - normally comes out very well

4th Gear

Status
    Watering cans are great - 2 to get it wet, wash with yer bucket and mit and sponge, 2 watering cans to rinse.

Cars seems to dry much quicker when I use the watering can, the water seems to sheet off or bead better, presumably as no fine spray.

Only thing you can't do is rinse out the wheel arches but I did that right after the winter anyway.
    Sportback