Exhaust pipes ? Cleaning

mattyboy199

Reaction score
How can i restore my S3's exhaust pipes to there original conidition (currnetly black). Should i attack them with wire wool ?

Any help would be nice

Thanks

Matt

use brake/clutch cleaner its a spray should cost you £4 or halfords £6 then some form of metal polish auto gylm is good or autosol. i use the cleaner on mine then wiped off it was so easy and it shines dont use wire wool it will sctatch it up.

Dont use the wire wool. As said above, get some metal polish (solvol autosol or Autoglym metal polish) from halfords and they will come up nice.

only if they are metal if they are plastic chrome then NO.
i belive they are plastic thats beeen chromed.

yes they may be audi parts but what are they made out of metal or plastic, if you cant find out then tap it you will be able to hear the diffrence in the two.

there polished aluminium mirrors mate you cant really not notice something like that. I wouldnt have anything less to be honest.

autosol on the mirrors will come up shiny if buffed on a wheel on a lathe, im a maintenance engineer by trade.

aluminium gets dirty quick though if it was stainless steel then it would be a different story

I personally wouldnt use Autosol on anything except copper or brass as when used by hand it does leave swirl marks-it is quite an abrasive polish......
Autosol is made in Germany and there seems to be a common misconception that it is called Solvol Autosol, it isnt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
For polishing metal I always use Solvol Autochrome (made by Hammerite in UK), I cleaned up the bumpers (original VW) on my Beetle that had years of tarnish and they came up as-new,without the slightest scratch.
Its the only metal polish that goes anywhere near my cars now.......only trouble is it is hard to find in the shops.

63ccac92.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i bought some autoglym metal polish to add to my collection & it worked a treat, recommended.