Home made Tyre Gel

Louay

Reaction score
Has anyway ever considered a homemade tyre dressing?

I normally use megs tyre gel but its quite expensive to keep buying, perhaps i should use something other than a brush to apply it which is probably why i get through a lot of the stuff.

Just wondering if there are any homemade alternatives any one has used?

thanks

i have experimented with used engine oil......looked ok

Presumably, organic is kinder to the rubber! Lol

Pretty sure that meg tyre shine is meant to last at least a few days? How often are you cleaning your car? Also how big are your tyres! I've got a bottle it lasts me at least 8 weeks! I clean my car at least 3 times a week.

also use a sponge it spreads far easier and lasts longer... Try the meg tyre sponge.. :rock:

So I'm going to take this seriously... lol

I mix Megs tyre gel with Greased Lightning Brilliant Black and apply with a paint brush. The sponge is ok, but it soaks up far too much and doesn't get the bottom of the tyre without moving the car.

Brilliant Black Car Tyre & Exterior Trim Shine | Greased Lightning

I use a small jam jar and mix it about 1/3 Megs to 2/3 GL - it lasts a few days in wet conditions, a week or more in the dry.
It stretches the Megs out and the chemical mix hasn't killed me .... yet ;-)

Halfords currently doing a 3 for 2 offer on all cleaning products, including the meguiar's tire dressing, one bottle has lasted me for nearly 2 years, a little goes a long way..

And I personally wouldn't use a brush.. sponge application will always be the most suitable for gel based tire dressing

Reactions: batch and warren_S5
Try FinishKare Top Kote tyre dressing mate. 32oz bottle can be found for £13 and lasts absolutely ages. You can spray directly on the wheel but I find too much gets on the alloy so it's much easier to spray onto an applicator pad and then apply.
A couple of coats of that will last a while and even beads water off for the first few weeks!

Oh and you can use it on interior surfaces, plastic grills etc too.

Halfords currently doing a 3 for 2 offer on all cleaning products, including the meguiar's tire dressing, one bottle has lasted me for nearly 2 years, a little goes a long way..

And I personally wouldn't use a brush.. sponge application will always be the most suitable for gel based tire dressing

+1 for me too on this. My bottle has lasted well over 2 years and I only apply with a Megs yellow applicator pad as it's easier to spread.