Alloy Wheel Cleaner??

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What is the best product to use to remove stubborn, ground in brake dust on my alloy wheels?

I've tried the turtle wax alloy wheel cleaner but will not touch the stubborn dust!

Cheers dan

I find Meguiars Hot Rims excellent for this. Just spray it on, give it a good scrub with a sponge and rinse off!

You can buy it online or you can even get it from halfords.

[ QUOTE ]
I use wonder wheels from Car Plan awesome stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that, though I try and use it as infrequently as possible as it does contain acid.
Instead I try and wash the wheels with ordinary bodywork shampoo as soon as they even start to look dirty, so as to avoid having to use harsh chemicals on them.....
Learnt this the hard way several years ago when a container of H*lfords wheel cleaner totally stripped the lacquer from the alloys of an Alfa I had at that time..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I find Meguiars Hot Rims very good for slight dust etc and MER alloy wheel cleaner better for stubborn marks

as above, I just use the normal car shampoo every time and treat it to some hot rims every now and then to get rid of the really stubborn marks..

Comes up a treat!

Bought some Meguiars Hot Rims, just waiting for some brighter, drier weather and will give my motor a really good wash wax n polish, oh and the alloys!

Will take some before and after pics of the alloys and post on here.

Does any one know where i can buy 4 x centre caps as mine are corroding and look tacky?
a61.jpg

not clear but you can make out which centre caps i mean.

I just use body work shampoo. But if you have a clay bar break off a section of that to use for your wheels. That got every single blemish off mine. and the tar build up obvioulsy.

Did anyone see fifth gear a while back with that Zymol detailer ,he applied a citrus cleaner to the lower part of the car first and said it cost £55 it was virosol at around £6 for 5 litres its very very good stuff and cheap.

It was probably £55 if he beat it from a former Swissol retailer :)

dont think so i throw 5 litres in with a full detail :)

Swissol is slighty cheaper than Zymol,also he said that acid wheel cleaner is only good for getting concrete off:confused: And he works on Buggati
Full of ----

Have you tried a product called black magic? I don't know if its found in Europe, but I use it and I think its great. Spray it on and wipe it off. Check black magic car products on the web.

WONDER WHEELS HAS STRIPPED THE PAINT OFF TWO SETS OF MY ALLOYS, LEAVING WHITE PRIMER LOOKING PAINT VISABLE........ NEVER AGAIN, I SAY NEVER AGAIN.

have you tried fairy oven cleaner it contains all the same ingredients as these exspensive wheel cleaners but a lot cheaper thats what i use and it works a treat and even stops it coming back so quick

bigblokey0 said:
have you tried fairy oven cleaner it contains all the same ingredients as these exspensive wheel cleaners but a lot cheaper thats what i use and it works a treat and even stops it coming back so quick

Good idea will try that

bigblokey0 said:
if you smell your wheels then you got problems
No I sniff ovens :)
Yeah cheers guys, funny :D
What I shoud have said is that oven cleaner smells like it would strip the lacquer off your alloys in no time

ive used it lots of times and i find the cheap brands better than the exspensive ones ie. asdas own over fairy

spearsy said:
Did anyone see fifth gear a while back with that Zymol detailer ,he applied a citrus cleaner to the lower part of the car first and said it cost £55 it was virosol at around £6 for 5 litres its very very good stuff and cheap.

The guy was full of it, but then with the amount he's charging his customers probably treat £55 as a tip for a mornings work.