Detailing Advice for Novice

Paul Holtom

Reaction score
OK so I have a new S3 on order in Misano Red and whilst counting down the weeks till delivery thought I would use the time to sort out cleaning stuff for it. Whilst I have always cleaned cars myself rather than use say a car wash I want to spend a bit more time and effort on this one to keep it looking great.

Plan is to get it pro detailed from new and then maintain myself on a weekly basis. Due to where I live access to pressure washer is difficult so it will be a hand wash and polish.

This is what I already have, is there anything missing or anything that would be better for the colour paint.

Wheels
Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner​
Poorboys Wheel Sealant​

Bodywork
Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash​
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds Shampoo​
Autoglym Tar Remover​
Collinite 476 Wax​
or
DoDo Juice Hard Candy​
or
DoDo Juice Need For Speed​

Glass
G-Techniq G6​

Thanks

As with all detailing products are recommended purely by personal preference. Personally I find meguiars ultimate range are cost effective as well as being effective at keeping paint in great condition.

Personally I only use a pressure washer to use my snow foam, I believe pressure washers can be dangerous although others would recommend there use.

You have a great selection of detailing products there so I would try them to see if they achieve your desired finish. If not try the meguiars ultimate compound, polish and wax.

There is my input and I'm sure many other members will recommend products that they use. Try different products and see what is best for you or ask your detailed what he/she recommends

Regards Shaun

I'm with Shaun, I think you have a good selection there. The only thing I could see that was missing was a quick detailer. I can recommend:

FinishKare #425 - Ultra Slick Polywipe
or
Chemical Guys - Synthetic Quick Detailer

I've also used Gtechniq C2v3 after washing. It's a spray sealant but as it's water based a lot of people use it in a QD style.

If you are having your car pro detailed I would ask the person doing it what they recommend as a top up. Also if the wheels have been pro detailed and sealed, you shouldn't need your wheel cleaner. Shampoo and water will be fine. Basically let the pro do their job and ask them what you should do to keep on top of it.

If you are getting it professionally detailed new then I'm guessing it will be polished then sealed/wax afterwards. Depending on the car's usage the paintwork only needs to be polished 2-3 times a year, it's the wax/sealant that needs to be used more. A couple coat's of Collinite 476 would last you a good 3 or 4 months. Giving the bodywork a good spray of quick detailer after every time you wash it will help keep it looking shiney! :)

not using a pressure washer or hose of some kind prior to hand washing is just asking for swirl marks IMO

Have access to a hose, just not the electric for a pressure washer.

that would be much better than just going straight at it with a hand wash! just make sure you get yourself 2 buckets with grit guards and a lambswool wash mitt to minimise damage to paint

Two buckets and Mitt already have and just ordered some Angelwax QED and Elixir so should have everything now.

Reactions: RobbieWebs and scotty76
nice one. be aware that detailing is a slippery slope haha you will be constantly buying stuff

Reactions: Welshquattro
You have got most of the basics. Spray over with the Citrus pre-wash and hose off after ten minutes before using the buckets and mitt!

Will Revitalise paint correction system | Auto Finesse help to get rid off of all those:

DSC 0138

DSC 0142

Or are there better/cheaper ways to to that?
I've got clarke 6 speed polisher, that I will use for the job, and it will be very first time, that I am doing anything with body paints. :)
Any advice welcome.

Thank you.