• 2 Post By Paul Holtom
  • 1 Post By R90 STL

Thread: Detailing Advice for Novice

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Paul Holtom on Facebook

Detailing Advice for Novice

OK so I have a new S3 on order in Misano Red and whilst counting down the weeks till delivery thought I would use the time to sort out cleaning stuff for it. Whilst I have always cleaned cars myself rather than use say a car wash I want to spend a bit more time and effort on this one to keep it looking great.

Plan is to get it pro detailed from new and then maintain myself on a weekly basis. Due to where I live access to pressure washer is difficult so it will be a hand wash and polish.

This is what I already have, is there anything missing or anything that would be better for the colour paint.

Wheels
    Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
    Poorboys Wheel Sealant
    Bodywork
    Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash
    Chemical Guys Maxi Suds Shampoo
    Autoglym Tar Remover
    Collinite 476 Wax
    or
    DoDo Juice Hard Candy
    or
    DoDo Juice Need For Speed
    Glass
    G-Techniq G6
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    As with all detailing products are recommended purely by personal preference. Personally I find meguiars ultimate range are cost effective as well as being effective at keeping paint in great condition.

Personally I only use a pressure washer to use my snow foam, I believe pressure washers can be dangerous although others would recommend there use.

You have a great selection of detailing products there so I would try them to see if they achieve your desired finish. If not try the meguiars ultimate compound, polish and wax.

There is my input and I'm sure many other members will recommend products that they use. Try different products and see what is best for you or ask your detailed what he/she recommends

Regards Shaun

4th Gear

Status
    I'm with Shaun, I think you have a good selection there. The only thing I could see that was missing was a quick detailer. I can recommend:

FinishKare #425 - Ultra Slick Polywipe
    or
    Chemical Guys - Synthetic Quick Detailer

I've also used Gtechniq C2v3 after washing. It's a spray sealant but as it's water based a lot of people use it in a QD style.

If you are having your car pro detailed I would ask the person doing it what they recommend as a top up. Also if the wheels have been pro detailed and sealed, you shouldn't need your wheel cleaner. Shampoo and water will be fine. Basically let the pro do their job and ask them what you should do to keep on top of it.

2nd Gear

Status
    If you are getting it professionally detailed new then I'm guessing it will be polished then sealed/wax afterwards. Depending on the car's usage the paintwork only needs to be polished 2-3 times a year, it's the wax/sealant that needs to be used more. A couple coat's of Collinite 476 would last you a good 3 or 4 months. Giving the bodywork a good spray of quick detailer after every time you wash it will help keep it looking shiney!
    Audi A3 8V 2.0tdi 184ps Sline

**Message for parts enquiries in Kent**

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    not using a pressure washer or hose of some kind prior to hand washing is just asking for swirl marks IMO
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - Team Heko wind deflectors - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - Audi Sport Net & DOPE decals - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - S Tronic - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill -Team Heko wind deflectors - Short private number plates - Cruise Control etc. loving every minute of it

4th Gear

Status
    Could use Optimum No Rinse or Dodo Low on Eau at least as a pre rinse to help. They work well if used correctly.

Low on EAU Test - Detailing World

Optimum No Rinse vs. VW Jetta

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Have access to a hose, just not the electric for a pressure washer.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    that would be much better than just going straight at it with a hand wash! just make sure you get yourself 2 buckets with grit guards and a lambswool wash mitt to minimise damage to paint
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - Team Heko wind deflectors - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - Audi Sport Net & DOPE decals - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - S Tronic - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill -Team Heko wind deflectors - Short private number plates - Cruise Control etc. loving every minute of it

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Two buckets and Mitt already have and just ordered some Angelwax QED and Elixir so should have everything now.
    scotty76 and RobbieWebs like this.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

nice one. be aware that detailing is a slippery slope haha you will be constantly buying stuff
    Welshquattro likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    You have got most of the basics. Spray over with the Citrus pre-wash and hose off after ten minutes before using the buckets and mitt!

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Add Dimokslis on Facebook Add Dimokslis on Google+
    Will Revitalise paint correction system | Auto Finesse help to get rid off of all those:

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Or are there better/cheaper ways to to that?
    I've got clarke 6 speed polisher, that I will use for the job, and it will be very first time, that I am doing anything with body paints.
    Any advice welcome.

Thank you.