JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications

Thread: Wax

Neutral

Status

Wax

00 A4 1.8TQ

Car is in great condition inside and out, but i have swirl marks all over the vehicle body.. what kind of wax is good to remove the swirl mark, yet give it a good shine?

I tried Turtle wax swirl remover (yeah right).. also have California Gold, and Mothers as well

I don't have a buffer, maybe i should get one?

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_CurryMilkShake

Re: Wax

Godwine

What colour is your car?

Some colours seem to respond well to meguiars NXT, some more to Meguiars gold class, (my atlas greyn is better with gold class than NXT, my mates black one he felt was better with nxt though neither of us could see much in it)

P45 I havent tried but is supposed to be excellent for swirl removal

Ive used Zymol cleaner wax with good results, then topped it off with meguiars..

The proper zymol waxes are all supposed to be superb but they are serious amounts of money!!!

Let us know what colour you are, and then those with that colour can respond...

Status

To remove the swirls you need to use a polish.

Doing this by hand is really difficult especially on audi clearcoats!

You need to use a machine polisher such as a Porter Cable or perhaps even a Rotary.

You wont remove the swirls using a wax (it may help hide them though).

cheesypeas

Status

try meguiars scratchX

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    try meguiars scratchX

[/ QUOTE ]

ScratchX is ok by hand, better by machine.

To be honest with you, I can't see you getting rid of the swirls by hand unless you spend days on it.

Get someone on one of the detailing forums to PC it for you.

5th Gear

Status

Godwine,

Might be worth giving a claybar a try, there pretty good at removing minor imperfections in the paintwork.

takes a while to do it properly though

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Godwine,

Might be worth giving a claybar a try, there pretty good at removing minor imperfections in the paintwork.

takes a while to do it properly though

[/ QUOTE ]

The claybar is great but it won't remove the swirls on his audi paint..

2nd Gear

Status

I have yet to find any product that removes swirl marks. I have used Auto-Glym, Meguirs, and now moved on to P21s. The later two, hide the swirls but if you look hard enough they can still be be seen. Personally I prefer a wet look shine than a swirl remover. This is only an opinion of a keen polishing buff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have yet to find any product that removes swirl marks. I have used Auto-Glym, Meguirs, and now moved on to P21s. The later two, hide the swirls but if you look hard enough they can still be be seen. Personally I prefer a wet look shine than a swirl remover. This is only an opinion of a keen polishing buff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As said above, Waxing won't get of the swirls!

You need to use an abraisive polish with a machine e.g. Porter Cable or Rotary. Your not going to do it by hand!

The Audi Clearcoat is quite tough but you can do it with the machine.

Once you are happy with the paintwork, you should then seal it and then apply the wax to provide protection.

Cheers
    Rich.

Neutral

Status

I would offer my services to remove your swirls and get it looking awesome again but then I saw that you live in Canada! lol.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would offer my services to remove your swirls and get it looking awesome again but then I saw that you live in Canada! lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know, he may pay for your travel? Now that would be a nice detailing trip!

Reverse Gear

Status

Dicky's right... you need to use an abrasive polish with a machine polisher to remove swirl marks. Wax will only cover the marks temporarily improving the paint's appearance.

Try the Meguiars bodyshop stuff. Start with Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish - this is quite abrasive and will be most affective against the swirl marks. It may leave hazing on the your paint though, so follow up with Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze. This is rich in polishing oils and has a slight cleaning action and will remove the hazing.

You can then follow up with the wax of your choice. Certainly ain't a two-minute job though!

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Godwine

What colour is your car?

Some colours seem to respond well to meguiars NXT, some more to Meguiars gold class, (my atlas greyn is better with gold class than NXT, my mates black one he felt was better with nxt though neither of us could see much in it)

P45 I havent tried but is supposed to be excellent for swirl removal

Ive used Zymol cleaner wax with good results, then topped it off with meguiars..

The proper zymol waxes are all supposed to be superb but they are serious amounts of money!!!

Let us know what colour you are, and then those with that colour can respond...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok

I've got some Zymol Carbon wax, used after the HD Cleanse is really really good.

1 application visibly reduced amount of swirls.

I can only see it getting better! Now all I need is the chuffing weather to do it in!