Wheel cleaning questions?

Dave-S3

Reaction score
Picking up my S3 next week, ive had a couple of cars now with nice wheels but always seem to struggle when it comes to keeping them in pristine condition.

Ive been using the Auto Glym custom wheel cleaner, its good at getting the dirt off, but over time i notice that the wheels appear to become "pitted" i think this is the term, where theres rough black spots on them that wont come off, anyone got any good advice of products to stop this happening and the best wheel cleaning products?

Thanks

The pitting/black stuff is likely to be baked on brake dust. Something like Iron X should get this off.

CarPro - Iron X - Clean Your Car

The best plan would be to get a few coats of wheel sealant on before the problem sets in. I did this on my A4 and now only use normal car shampoo to clean them. This works fine as they are protected and no sign of the dreaded black dots!

No problem, well its going to be fresh from the garage so ill get a load of sealer on them first thing! Whats the best sealer to use?

I coat all my wheels with opticoat 2.0.
It takes a little more prep than a wax or the like and is slightly more expensive. But you can leave your wheels for 6 months (I don't, my sister does) and they still come up like brand new with very little effort.

Is Opticoat hard to apply? I've always been a bit scared of it because of the permanent sounding nature of it. :)

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Because Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is permanent, the paint finish has to be prepared correctly before applying it. Any blemishes or contamination on the paint will be permanently locked in so remove them first! On a properly prepared paint finish, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 will look clear, smooth, and clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Note: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is not to be confused with other waxes, sealants or nano-coatings, this is different. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 uses a resin technology that forms a permanent bond to paint and cures, just like an extra layer of clear coat. [/FONT]

It couldn't really be any easier to apply. You just have to make sure the wheels are spotless beforehand

Reactions: scotty76