Advice needed

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
I need to get our Astra looking good so I can sell it to fund the new A3. What products would you recommend to get rid of some fine scratches and cover up the stone chips on the bonnet?

I looking at a complete kit from start to Finnish

I have read that a machine polisher is needed, it so what pads/polish would I need. Are they easy to use?

Thanks
Phil

It's not too difficult. It's very time consuming though. If you get a dual action machine polisher you are less likely to damage your paint. There are lots of detailing guides on both this website and the one I linked you to. Just start off with a less aggressive pad to make sure you don't burn through the paint if you don't have a paint thickness gauge which are pretty costly.

Thanks again

I will have a look through the forum. I don't want to make a mess of it ;-)

I like to site you linked to, will have a good look soon.

Phil

Indeed you do not haha! Proper prep work is essential. If you have any other queries feel free to get in touch. I'm not a professional detailer or anything like that but I have been doing some of my mates cars for them and get great results so I'm happy to share my experiences with you

Thanks
I need to know what I'm doing before I start :)

I have heard that the pain on Vauxhalls is very thin and you can damage it very easily.
Might get someone to do it for me first so I can watch.

Any local members willing to show me how to do it?
I can supply tea and biscuits, and of course will replace all products used. :) :)

Phil

Iv heard that too I wouldn't worry about taking too much paint off it if your intentions are just to get it looking pretty to sell on. Fortunately for me any car iv detailed to date has been vag which has notoriously thick paint

Good idea that or a scrap bit of metal. It's very satisfying I have to say! Some visual motivation for you Image

Not wishing to spoil your fun but it might work out the same cost to get a local detailer to do a pre-sale prep for you rather than buying all the kit and learning to use it. The advantage would be they bring their experience and greater supply of products to bear. So they'll work out what is polish and pad is going to work best. Just a thought.

Looks great. I think for 99.9% of people that would be enough for them to buy it, do you need to do more?

When you look closely there are some fine scratches on the drivers door and a lot of stone chips on the bonnet.

I do enjoy cleaning it. It gives me a great feeling of satisfaction when it looks like this

Reactions: scotty76