Holgrams

Grahamb

Reaction score
Not new to machine polishing. Now at the w/e i machined our a6, its that dark green, met, and clayed first. Now i use 3m products and have done for some time, on our XJ, sliver, and our last car, (black) with no problems; but i ended up with holis on the side panels, not the bonnet or tail gate, or bumpers. Temp was not on the high side, not in direct sun either.

The hols are not bad, to most the hols would not be noticeable, to me yes they are. Is there any way around this, i could go over them again, with a panel wipe and then reapply top coat, or do i need to clay them back, or just use the machine again.

I have a M/g final polish, to use before final wax or top coat of your choice, could this be used to cut the hols, or use M/g final and panel wipe then apply last top coat.

Sounds complicated what i have wrote but you d/t out there know.

Kind regards Graham

Hi Graham,

I had this problem a lot with my previous black car. Thinking it was an error in my polishing technique (not breaking it down properly) I soon discovered that it was actually the removal of the polish that was the problem. I would give the panel a wipe then a spray with a QD and wipe some more. I wasn't actually removing the polish or QD properly. To the average eye and in bad light it looked perfect but in sunlight you could see holograms. So my advice (if you have the same problem as I did) is to use a panel wipe (or even clay) to make sure all product is removed from the surface and then re-apply your top coat.

If however, the holograms are caused by minor surface imperfections even after polishing, you could try a glaze such as poorboys black hole before applying your top coat.

HTH
Mo

Dont use 3M polish either as its full of fillers so defeats the idea of detailing and getting it perfect. Black is the colour to iron out your technique so I would slow down a little and try and find the ideal combo......if its buffer trail then its your technique.

Try Sonax Perfect Finish and see if this makes a difference

Willing to give some other idea a go, but never had this before, and my last car was black, strange that. The 3m i use for the last stage is as, final finish and never once have i had any problems before.

Just looked up the Sonax Perfect Finish, and on the surface it appears to be very similar to 3m final finish. I will go from your suggestion, much appreciated.

Graham

It might just be the type of colour it is showing everything compared to previous cars..........just trial and error I reckon to get it spot on. If your after a descent wax for darker cars I am the Scottish Angelwax distributor and we do specific waxes for dark, light, grey and white cars.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.580773348632216.1073741878.364216776954542&type=3

Follow the link to see pictures of an Audi Avant I detailed for the Scottish Car Show and used Dark Angel......customer was over-the-moon with the end result.

Last edited:
I'd just use 3m hologram remover (blue top) with the soft buffing head, then continue to apply your wax of choice. I use it every day and I've never had a problem or have a job come back for swirls