What's the best for stone clips and swirls

swalder

Reaction score
As above the proud owner of a b7 black avant a4.

Sadly when buying it I had rose tinted glasses on and the paint work isn't great post purchase .it's has lots of stone chips and very light scrapes almost it's been washed with a dirty sponge etc....

What is the best for hand polishing as i have no machine at the moment for sorting out scrapes and chips.

Had a read and poor boys black hole may do the job just looking peoples opinion and what they recommend and not pre sale speel

Nice car mate & you can get it looking good!

Depends how much time/money you want to throw at it...?

Im a Meguiar's fan & last week spent a lot of money on products before spending 9 HOURS (yep ocd) on my car - incidentally my sunburnt back is still suffering badly!!

If you're on a budget i'd recommend using ultimate compound & then wax it.

If however you wanna go the whole hog like i did, wash & dry, then clay, compound, polish & finally wax the whole vehicle.

Mike

How much is ultimate compound on a budget at the min or I would buy a da machine and give it proper killing.... Will the compound help with stone chips as in fill in the white chip ?

Well I tried washing and waxing when bought took about 4 hours so quite happy to loose the weekend doing it.

Cheers buddy for the advice

Ultimate compound is £10.99, it removes scratches, hazes & swirl marks but I'm afraid its not going to fill in the chips.

Have a look at this though:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

It speaks about using sandpaper which would leave slight scratches which you could then polish out (careful though!)

I bought a Meguiar's DA Power System for £59.99 which plugs in to a household drill, a lot cheaper than the DA Polisher for £175!

Ultimate compound is £10.99, it removes scratches, hazes & swirl marks but I'm afraid its not going to fill in the chips.

Have a look at this though:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

It speaks about using sandpaper which would leave slight scratches which you could then polish out (careful though!)

I bought a Meguiar's DA Power System for £59.99 which plugs in to a household drill, a lot cheaper than the DA Polisher for £175!

Does it do a good job as that's a decent price. I have an old cheap lidl polished for £20 in the shed somewhere I would be surprised it even turns on. Rather when I have the money spend it on a good piece of equipmemt not a stop gap.

When it comes to machine polishing your car I would be very careful about what you buy if you make a mess of things then a respray would have cost you more than a descent machine for polishing your car and once you get a machine go to a body shop and ask if they have any old panels then use that until you are confident to move on to your car. But be fully aware of all the pit falls on machine polishing before you go on to your car.

Poorboys black hole is a really good glaze has great filling qualities and it looks good once its done but it will not last as you are only masking the marks on your car.

Gtechniq p1 polish is a good all round polish for using buy hand or by machine when you buy one.

http://youtu.be/_u-QTCbOUW4

Das6 polisher for 79 quid.
Das6 pro polisher for 99 quid.
Certainly a lot better than the one that goes in the drill I reckon.
Remember u get what u pay for ;)
Meguiars is good from what iv read and seen.
Something to keep in mind is scratches and swirls uv got a really good chance of getting them out.
Stone chips the jury is out especially when audi use a white undercoat especially on dark paint ...
Going to try out mine when I get home from work :)

Think I will buy some ultimate compound and I'll stick up some before and afters .

Also bought ag tar remover fantastic job ! As the car looked like someone had drive through a road as it was being tar mac'd. That was my biggest bug bear as the tar had gone white with wax etc and fhre car looked a mess.

Got the rear bumper a go with ultimaye compound . Have to say it has brought the pain up a real dark black. But ran out of time so may have to start again tomorrow after work or I may leave it till wed when I'm off.

Next question is I have had for years one of those terrible lidl machine polishers . Would I be better to just do it by hand or let rip with it .

slowly slowly getting there and I'll put up some pics and then we can talk about new wheels and mods :cool: