Clean Air Con

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My wife was complaining on Friday that the inside of the car smelled like cat pee, so I figured it was time to disinfect the air con.

Popped into Halfords on Saturday & picked up one of those Comma anti-bacterial cleaners. I've used it before & it's very effective. All you do is move the front passenger seat fully forward, & place the canister on the rear footwell. Next, start the engine, switch the air con to recirculate, and put the fan on full speed. Finally, hit the button on the canister, lock it open so the aerosol spray is fixed on, & close the door. Ten minutes later, the canister is empty, all the cleaning stuff has been sucked right through into the system. Job done!

While I was at Halfords, I noticed they sell replacement cabin pollen filters now, so I bought one, as the filter hasn't been changed at least as long as I've owned the car (2 & a half years), & probably a lot longer.

It took old Captain Sausage-Fingers here a few minutes to undo all the clips & covers, but when I eventually found the old filter & pulled it out, it was minging! No way will I leave that job so long again!

It smells very sweet inside the car now. The Comma cleaner is an excellent product, but you do need to give the interior surfaces a good wipe-round afterwards.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Just gave the Comma product a go dude on the strength of your reccomendation and I have to agree with you - it's a very good product and well worth the ten quid or so it costs:)

Please can some 1 tell me where the cabin pollen filters are?!
I have a 03 B6 A4

How much mess does it leave and what sort of mess?

Does it end up all over the dash pod?

Aldo said:
Please can some 1 tell me where the cabin pollen filters are?!
I have a 03 B6 A4

Easy. Open up the bonnet. At the back, behind the main engine bulkhead. to the right of the battery. Remove the rubber beading from the front bulkhead, unclip the full width cover, then tease out the plastic cover to the right of the battery (you'll need to unclip a tube that runs across it). The pollen filter is underneath.

Remove, replace, re-fit, job done. Takes 10 minutes.

cdb2 said:
How much mess does it leave and what sort of mess?

Does it end up all over the dash pod?

Just a fine mist. Wipe it over with a clean cloth & you're fine.

jdp1962 said:
Easy. Open up the bonnet. At the back, behind the main engine bulkhead. to the right of the battery. Remove the rubber beading from the front bulkhead, unclip the full width cover, then tease out the plastic cover to the right of the battery (you'll need to unclip a tube that runs across it). The pollen filter is underneath.

Remove, replace, re-fit, job done. Takes 10 minutes.

Will take a look tonight or tomorrow, I saw you cleaned yours in washing up liquid, but did you then buy a new one, just wondering if I should just go out and buy a new one or not?! :)

I use it every year and does make a difference, leaves a slight mist on speedo etc but wipes off easily enough.

Aldo said:
Will take a look tonight or tomorrow, I saw you cleaned yours in washing up liquid, but did you then buy a new one, just wondering if I should just go out and buy a new one or not?! :)
I didn't buy a new one, cos the washing powder did a good cleaning job (even if the thing smelled of Daz for a week afterwards). Dealer put a new one in last week, though, as part of service.