Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    In awe of VCDS

Status

Nattys Blue with DA?

After a lot of reading on various detailing forums (and on here of course) I've just placed an order for some Poor Boys Black Hole and some Natty's Blue Paste wax to treat my Panther Black.
    My brother works as a sprayer/refinisher for Aston's so he's going to borrow a rotary polisher from his work to compound the car first, to hopefully get rid of some of the imperfections.

He's leant me his own Rupes DA and I've ordered some new Menzerna supersoft finishing pads for it so I can use it for the glaze/wax stages. (I'll admit I'm no expert so I didn't fancy using the rotary, which is why he's doing that bit and I'm sticking to the relatively safer DA part).

From what I've read, the PB Black Hole works very well when applied by DA, but is the same to be said for the Natty's Blue?
    The DA doesn't have a variable speed, it's just set at 7000rpm. I know if it was a rotary polisher then it would be too fast, but will the way the DA works mean it's ok?
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    If you're worried, try a test spot with the lightest pad you can find and work quicker than you'd expect.
    Then slow the speed or up the pad density until you reach the required setup.

I would never apply a wax by DA personnaly. Too easy to apply too much and not get a true feel of how its being applied.
    A sealant by all means apply with a DA and black pad. Generally its machine for liquid, hand for solid.p

EDIT: Also is that Aston Vauxhall? I live a couple villages away and alway pass by. Bought my previous Corsa vxr from them and good friends with all the sales people.

In awe of VCDS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    EDIT: Also is that Aston Vauxhall? I live a couple villages away and alway pass by. Bought my previous Corsa vxr from them and good friends with all the sales people.
    No, I mean Aston Martin. The Heritage centre in Bovingdon.

Cheers for the advice. I guess I'll stick to applying wax by hand then. I was hoping to save myself a bit of elbow grease and use the DA for applying everything. When you say it's too easy to apply too much, wouldn't the DA 'spread' it around so you end up with an even coat? Or is the wax too solid for it to work like that?
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

2nd Gear

Status
    I use a rotory on my car for the polishes but always put the wax on by hand. I am by far an expert and only bought the rotory as it was on sale

2nd Gear

Status
    Apply natty boys with a microfibres applicator.. Although it's not a hard wax I wouldn't recommend rubbing it onto a polishing pad then working it into the car. I have a pot of Natty Boys, very good wax, beads for a long time - easy to apply, leave for ten - fifteen minutes then take off with a microfibre cloth.

Also have a bottle of Black Hole, used on a black MK4 Golf and now my S3 is wearing it :-) very good results on both cars.. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

next up to try on the S3 is Prima Amigo with Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax :D