Procedure for removing wax

frazzeld

Reaction score
If I wanted to remove the wax that is currently on my car to then give it a good polish with what I believe to be a better quality polish than what i originally applied....what would be the procedure? i've also got myself a clay bar now

Thanks

a product called detox that you can get from halfords in a black bottle, by i forget who, or iron x but i prefer fairy liquid in hot water!
it does the same and costs nowt

So if I give it a wash with the old fairy liquid then use the clay....ultimate liquid polish and then wax again i'll be on the right track

So if I give it a wash with the old fairy liquid then use the clay....ultimate liquid polish and then wax again i'll be on the right track

more or less mate! it strips the lot! as long as you, and you are, is treating the paint after this, it is a good method! i learned it on detailingworld.com

I use neat tfr, neat fairy liquid or do a full de-tar which will strip the wax.

Clay barred, followed by Meguairs all purpose cleaner 1:10 in a spray bottle I found best.

Mixed opinions on using fairy liquid so I went for a safer option.

Apc is great as you can use in engine bay, wheels, wheel recesses, interior, mats, carpets, pretty much anything. just not washing dishes! :)

Clanying will remove wax anyway so washing with fairy is just a un-necessary step and a way of potentially incurring more swirl marks.

Clanying will remove wax anyway so washing with fairy is just a un-necessary step and a way of potentially incurring more swirl marks.

Fairy liquid will help remove the wax aswell as claying with the bits you may have missed and i suppose you could say you get swirls marks by washing your car anyway. And the car will be polished which will eliminate the swirl marks after the claying and fairy liquid has taken place so i don't think that should matter.

Fairy liquid will help remove the wax aswell as claying with the bits you may have missed and i suppose you could say you get swirls marks by washing your car anyway. And the car will be polished which will eliminate the swirl marks after the claying and fairy liquid has taken place so i don't think that should matter.

Fairly liquid, along with most washing up liquids use salt as a thickening agent.
It will sit in all the cracks where it cannot be rinsed and over time eat away at the bbodywork.
Polishing will remove any wax the clay doesn't.

Its just a unnecessary step that personnaly, I would never consider doing on my own car or anyone else's for that matter.

you can buy citrus pre washes and APC that will remove LSP safely if you wish to remove it by washing but the claying and polishing will remove it anyway

Last edited:
Yeah that's true. I use Dodo a juice lime prime prewax then wax it with chemical guys.

Forget fairly liquid. Ridiculous. Just use any normal shampoo and then clay bar.