DA 1st attempt...is it possible to create orange peel?

me77or

Reaction score
Evening folks

I have bitten the bullet and had my first go with the Juicy DA that has been sat in the garage since winter.

The paint swirls have been greatly reduced, but I'm having trouble getting rid of and deeper scratches in the laquer.

But the scariest thing is that I can now see a small amount of orange peel in the paint. Can i have caused this with the DA????

Sorry, but I've got no close up photos to explain at the moment, but I can upload some at the weekend.

You haven't burnt the paint have you? Need pics to really see what you've done. I very much doubt you've nearly gone through the paint as Audi paint is one of the thickest around. What kind of products did you use? Let us know so we can see what your talking about.

I ****** hope not mate!!

TBH i'd be really surprised if I did. I was being careful to not apply too much pressure with the DA.

I was using Meguirs 105 with the Juicy orange cutting pad, then finishing with Meguirs 205 and the black finishing pad. Added a layer of AG deep shine polish by hand after that.

I'll get photos up asap

Is orange peel not caused by the surface of the paint/laquer not being flat.....

I have some friend who work in body repair and they "flat polish" cars using various abrasive pads and eventually polish the finish is amazing!

Without seeing pictures of your paint its tough to say....

Has the panel in question been repainted at any time?

Wow! That tutorial is immense!

I'll post some pics this weekend - not had access to the car this week.

I think that, instead of creating orange peel, I've just began noticing it because after the DA polishing I have been concentrating at looking at the reflections. It's probably been there all along. I've since noticed it on my other car (which has not been DA'd) and others on the road and they too have orange peel.

The OCD bug has bitten. It's just part of the symptoms of Obsessive Cleaning Disorder you will notice a lot more defects on your cars and others.

As said, Orange peel is in the laquer, pretty much 99% of all new cars come with orange peel due to new techniques and methods of applying the laquer.
Wet sanding is a very good way of removing it but you need to know what you're doing and have access to a good quality paint depth gauge to ensure to dont take too much off and there is actually enough on it to take some down.

Hes a example of my orange peel after polishing mine back up the other day:
60f8aa067cc0ace942b87e733805bbaf_zps88fa592e.jpg

Morning

I've taken some photos of my paintwork this morning. It's not the cleanest car any more but you can still see the reflections with the orange peel on. TBH I don't think the paint looks too far off the image coreythorny posted..

DSC 03302

DSC 03312

Attachments

• DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 170
Yeah, unfrotunately, all cars have Laquer peel. Until you crack out the DA and polish it up you won't notice as much. But once you polished the surface you'll get the light reflecting much better off the paintwork and in the reflection you'll see the orange peel in the laquer.
It's nothing you can inflict yourself or something you've done, just a nature of paintwork.

Wet sanding is the way forward to remove it but i've also been looking into denim pads and a rotary, but wet sanding is generally the only way.