Wet sanding

Cabbyfan

Reaction score
Hi, had some time and nice weather so finally got chance to sort out some stone chips and worse on my bonnet. Have been building up paint in the chips for a while, today I wet sanded and got the DA out. Overall in pretty happy looks a lot better than it did.

Two probs tho, patch on the nose has not turned out so good, had to put a lot of paint on but it's not right so will address that soon and second there it a v small indentation on the drivers wing right by the indicator it's too deep to fill with paint and I'm reluctant to use a filler because it means paint but I don't think I have much choice but comments much appreciated ...

pictures below should speak for themselves... Wet sanded with 2500 soaked in water and fairy. Then DA with very light cut.

This is the mark on the bonnet I'm going to have to sort out...

And this is the ding on the front wing...

Did you get touch up paint with laquer mixed in? Found this thread which gives some good tips and it turns out paint4u do touch ups with laquer mixed in to help get a better shine. Just bought myself a tin but I'm waiting for this rain to sod off. Looks like you've burnt through the original clear coat on your patch though so I reckon it would require a proper spray paint repair to fix. I'm far from being an expert but have just resprayed both my front wings and bumper with rattle cans. Not perfect but I've learnt a lot! Same for your wing...fill, sand, prime and spray the ding then laquer the whole panel would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, admire your handy work from 6 feet and not 6 inches...works for me! :laugh:

Reactions: sidibear
Audi Doodah, thank you for the heads up on that thread, nice read, but it probably wont be as easy as they make it look. Might practise inside a door shut or something before attempting the bonnet.

Just looked at the paint4u website and found all the info I need, and just bought a small tin of paint with the lacquer added to do my stone chips with.

The marks on the bonnet look like you've went through the clear coat :ohmy:

Thanks for the feedback etc. I'm going to add some fresh paint to the bit on the nose. Will post the results :)

Had another look at the stand out bit on the nose of the bonnet, rubbed it down and dusted it over with a rattle can of Audi paint. Problem is I was left with a section that was completely the wrong tone or colour ...am I missing something here ? This shouldn't be this tricky ......

You'd need to lacquer over the paint but bare in mind that it's very difficult to blend lacquer. A picture would help.

It doesn't look good! Maybe it's had a paint repair already and that's the cause of the lighter spots?

Im not aware of any previous damage and I have been over every inch of this car at some point for one reason or another. I will pop it into a local paint shop I know and see what he said, I dont mind paying for it to be done if its beyond my skills :) Weird thing is I recently painted one of the rub strips on the passenger door and that looks absolutly fine.