Everytime i wash my car i get streaky wipers

Audi Dynamik

Reaction score
As said above, everytime i wash my car i get streaky wipers. I use Auto Glym Shampoo and if i wash the windscreen with it or without it after i have finished cleaning my car and i put my wipers on in the rain they just streak.

I have cleaned my wipers and windscreen with vinegar + high active soap and windscreen foam etc.. and now there perfect and do not streak at all in the rain but as soon as i wash the car again the Wipers streak.

Does anybody think i will need new wipers ? My car is a 1st May 2011 and had now done 19000 Miles and due a service this month.

Does anybody know how to prevent them from streaking after i have washed my car ?

I have also used autoglym Car Glass polish on the windscreen and had no luck.

It isnt as if i use to much Auto Glym Shampoo whilst washing the car as i only use a little bit.

I use Holts High performance Screenwash and it takes a while of using that for the streaking to go and it is at a suitable strength. I have actually just Ran out of the Holts Screenwash, does anybody recommend any other Screenwash ?

Thanks in advance :)

I think the answer is to use the vinegar etc......or try a differant shampoo.I know that there is always a residue after using shampoo and rinsing, however hard you rinse, but the autoglym might contain some sort of wax/shining agent, and the stuff is a ****** for sticking to glass. I use the VAG screenwash that you can find cheap on ebay
10X Genuine Skoda / VW / Audi / Seat Screenwash G052164M2**10X 1ltr Bottles** | eBay

Reactions: Audi Dynamik
I have used vinegar but i cant be doing that every week ! Although i have a chippy im not taking all my stock of vinegar for the windscreen of my car hahaha ! :p

Thanks for the link :)

Try Rain-X on the screen Dynamik. Never used it myself but those who do swear buy it.

Reactions: sidibear and Audi Dynamik
New wipers might work , or use rain x on windscreen and to clean wiper blades.

I use rain x all the time, and swear by it, canna mind the last time i had to use my wipers cause of it.

Hi mate
I use Auto Glym Shampoo on mine and use rain-x on the screen with no problems. I've used rain-x for years on all different cars with the same type of vag wiper blades, all been ok.

I have used vinegar but i cant be doing that every week ! Although i have a chippy im not taking all my stock of vinegar for the windscreen of my car hahaha ! :p

Thanks for the link :)

If you use the undiluted vinegar itll take your paint off!!

Thank you for your help everybody,
i have cleaned the wipers and had a look at them and they seem fine and don't need replacing.
I am going to mds tomorrow (Motorist Discount Store) for some screenwash and some little sticky circles for my tax disc holder and a few cleaning products and whilst i am there i will get some Rain-x and let you all know.

Thanks again :)

Reactions: mike60e
Dynamik.

If you've not bought the Rain-X yet, they have it in Morrisons for £4.50 if you've one anywhere near you.

Ive bought some today and applied it and its even worse ! :scared2:
My Car is being serviced within the next couple of weeks so i will get them to stick some decent Wiper Blades on whilst its in and see how i go on.

My Car is being serviced within the next couple of weeks so i will get them to stick some decent Wiper Blades on whilst its in and see how i go on.

WTF!!
I've never used it as I said but as above, those who have love it.
Mate, you're having a mare with it at the moment. You must have some right crap on your screen if it's still as bad.
Solution found - Get a new windscreen!!!

Reactions: CHEZ

Sorry to here about that mate,
I had a quick look on google to see what else you could do, one forum says " A mechanic at a car dealership told us to put some WD-40 on a paper towel, and run that part of the paper towel over the wiper blades. This will thoroughly clean the blade, and restore it to almost-new. This has saved us the cost of new wiperblades many times!" or some one else said use a clay bar.

Read more: How do I stop windshield streaks left by my wipers? | Answerbag How do I stop windshield streaks left by my wipers? | Answerbag

The other option is if you know someone close to you with a A4, try their wiper blades to see if it's the same problem.

Last edited:
I will try that out with the WD-40 i don't really know anybody with an A4.
If the WD-30 doesn't work i will get some new wiper blades anyhow.

He said RAIN-X Not REDEX !!!!!!

Cant believe the wd40 thing bearing in mind its an oil of sorts....be ****** good if it worked though

Hahaha Yep rain x ! Bought it from the car shop on Sunday.
i will try the wd-40 if not i will get some new wiper blades, doesn't harm to change them anyway.

Silicone spray from halfords. Clean and dry out your blades, spray a little on a piece of tissue then wipe it on each of the blades. This is what they come out the factory covered in, and has worked well for me in the past.

Silicone spray from halfords. Clean and dry out your blades, spray a little on a piece of tissue then wipe it on each of the blades. This is what they come out the factory covered in, and has worked well for me in the past.

I have got some of that stuff i will try that aswell.

Cant see how the WD40 will work as we wound someone up with the same problem.....Use WD40....Gets rid of squeeks etc etc. See when he put his wipers on..........ultimate oil streak across the window.

Vinegar or a rain repellant is what I use. Angelwax H2GO is very good.

Car has been serviced today, new Bosch Wiper Blades have been put on but there is still abit of a streak but not as bad as before. i am going to wash the windscreen again with washing up liquid because that works and apply Rain-x and see how i go on. If not then i don't know what i will do.

Old fashioned I knowxbut I swear on clearalex. I wouldn't use anything with silicone on my windscreen as silicone is a coating not a cleaner, as already mentioned try diluting vinegar with water in a spray bottle and buff off with news paper :)

Car has been serviced today, new Bosch Wiper Blades have been put on but there is still abit of a streak but not as bad as before. i am going to wash the windscreen again with washing up liquid because that works and apply Rain-x and see how i go on. If not then i don't know what i will do.

Change the car...lol
It must be the
Brilliant Red what's causing the problem, you don't get this problem with Misano Red..lol

Change the car...lol
It must be the
Brilliant Red what's causing the problem, you don't get this problem with Misano Red..lol

Good idea :p I have had it 2 years on the 1st May so i am on the look out within the next few months.

No it cant be, Brilliant Red is too brilliant to cause a problem, though only problem you do get though is that it is that beautiful and bright it blinds your eyes ;)

I haven't had chance to wash it today so i will let you all know tomorrow or next weekend, only times i have to wash the car !

Reactions: mike60e
Any time I've had issues with a streaky screen, then I've washed the screen with a little detergent or washing up liquid to degrease. Then cleaned it with Auto Glym glass polish, buff that off, then Rain-X. Apply Rain-X to damp cloth, not direct to the glass. Buff dry.

Wipers, then Bosch is what I'd recommend. Tried Valeo, but were worn in 6 months. To clean wiper blades, use a little methylated spirit.

I have washed the windscreen today with Washing up liquid and windscreen cleaner and i have tested the washer and it doesnt seem to streak anymore. But i did not wash the car today because i did not have time but when i wash the car next weekend with AutoGlym Shampoo i am worried it will start streaking again.

I will inspect through the week on my way to work when it rains and see if it streaks and if it doesnt then i will apply rain-x again and see if it makes a difference to the streaking.

I got the Bosch wiper blades on friday Spartacus whilst it was in for a service.

Thanks for all the advice everybody btw :)

Reactions: spartacus 68
I will try that when my AutoGlym is finished and see how i go on. Thanks for that :)
I managed to wash it with AutoGlym and avoid getting any on the windscreen. I washed the windscreen with Soap and hot water and had the wipers running with Washers on and there is still a small streak which i can live with but i think it will wear off after abit, I think that streak is there because of the Rain-x, i bought the 2 in 1 cleaner and Rain-x together in a spray bottle instead of just Rain-x.

Just for the record, I never had this happen with AutoGlym Bodywork Conditioner Shampoo (guessing that's what you have) in about 1 years worth of use. The only streaking I've had is when I got some quick detailer on the screen by mistake.

I use the rain x 2 in 1 all the time and never have any issues. You could try claying your window. Seems to work well in getting it all nice n clean

I have noticed all Audi's seem to streak the window when you use the wipers, maybe it is something to do with the wipers themselves?

Personally hate rain-x as it pushes the water upwards into your field of vision.

I will just see how it goes on. Thanks for everyone's input :)

It's the shampoo being too concentrated.

We had the same issue at work, got over 300 complaints because customers said their wipers were streaky. Halved the concentration in the automatic feed and the problem got better. Changed to a less soapy Auto-Smart shampoo and it stopped.

So I had some of the left over Auto-Glym shampoo and guess what...My wipers started streaking!