So I had a bash at cleaning my own car for once today!

s33nyboy12

Reaction score
Excuse the fact it's a mini but I wasn't prepared to practice on anything else incase I messed it up..... We are selling it so I wasn't too bothered if I did make a mistake. :)

so I hosed it first . Washed it with autoglym shampoo wash with a woollen MIT , jetted it off, leathered it dry, used Mercedes own brand wheel cleaner, sprayed it with demon shine and buffed it off with microfibres, then used turtle wax bumper and tyre shine, and finally autoglym glass cleaner on all glass and lights and mirrors. I know I need some proper detailing stuff but I was just trying it out so just used what I had, this is the first time I have washed a car properly myself and not just took it to the abandoned garage and paid £5er. Let me now what you think , any advice appreciated before I get my new Audi and let loose on that .

E4EA1318-C53D-403E-8203-ECBE00972E95-1433-00000194D6571166_zps1b0409c2.jpg

3DF6D406-A4E9-4AC6-893C-171D77F55EF2-1433-00000179BE65498C_zps1957010c.jpg

6CD60F95-88A2-45E0-BE7E-A62926BEB07D-1433-000001799A2F1AD1_zpsede8177a.jpg

316EE828-EC6E-49C7-96F6-6BD13513E951-1433-00000179864BC99A_zps4b190031.jpg

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fine, except someone's nicked your rims in the 3rd photo.

Some tips:

Rinse the car before you start washing it, to remove any loose dirt/debris. Rinse from top down, ideally with a pressure washer but if not then a hose with a spray attachment.

Use 2 buckets - 1 for washing (with shampoo) and 1 for rinsing (clean water). Always rinse the mitt before putting it in the wash bucket. When the rinse water is dirty, change it. That way you won't transfer dirt into the wash water & back onto the car, which could otherwise scratch the paint. Again, wash from top down. Use a different mitt for the wheels so you keep the other one for the body panels only.

Rinse your mitt after you've finished cleaning the car and let it dry naturally.

Ditch the chamois leather and get a microfibre towel - they absorb much more water and are much more kind to your paintwork.

Once you get the basics right, get yourself a clay bar and some decent wax and you'll be amazed at the difference vs the £5 car-wash! If you're anything like me you'll get addicted to cleaning the car and improving your technique every time.

Finally: NEVER EVER EVER take it to the £5 car wash again!

A few pics of my baby:

Last edited:
Lol I took the wheels off to clean them properly and the arches!

Thanks for the advice doctor , I live in Nottingham too , I've seen your s3 before when I had my 8l but I used to pay a car valeter from Mansfield to clean mine as it was my pride and joy.

It is quite addictive, I got to admit I enjoyed it a little bit.

sean

Glad you have got into cleaning the car yourself. Better for you and better for the car!

I always finish by applying a top quality wax. This helps the rain to bead and just run off the car, and stops issues around bugs sticking to the front of the car, and I do my windscreen with it as it also makes the rain run off and don't need wipers as much:) I use Dodo Juice Purple Haze which suits the colour of my car. But I also have a tester pot of Dodo Juice Supernatural, which is the mutts nuts.

Reactions: s33nyboy12
State of play, that's the finish I'm after .......... I'll give the products you mentioned a try, cheers

Right tried washing another one of my motors today, had a proper good go.

heres what I did: jet washed first , then used meguiars wheel cleaner on all wheel, brushed then jet washed wheels and car again.
i must say the meguiars wheel cleaner is awesome.

Then I snow foamed with meguiars ultimate wash and wax, this was a tip given to me at the NEC classic car show last weekend. It's ok to snow foam with but runs off quickly. Then jet washed again.

washed using two bucket method and a mitt with auto glym shampoo conditioner . Flooding method to help dry.

dried using kent drying towels microfibre yellow. Polished with auto glym super resin polish and polishing cloths.

glass polished with fast glass by auto glym including lights. Tyre shine just rubbish simoniz one.

i know it's not my audi but that's at home and still quite clean from last week, plus this being ten years old bit harder to make it gleaming!

It it was dull outside so not great but in the warehouse the colour looks spot on under day lights .

only thing I didn't do the inside and when I've got some spare cash think I need to speak to brotek for some leather care / conditioner / cleaner... Looking dirty now in need of tlc.

anyone reccomend a decent snow foam?

Sean

Nice M3, I miss my E46...

IMO:
Should of clayed it after washing and before polishing, it makes sure the paint is as clean as possible.
then a couple of layers of wax after polishing, protects the car and keeps the shine for a lot longer.

Nice M3, I miss my E46...

IMO:
Should of clayed it after washing and before polishing, it makes sure the paint is as clean as possible.
then a couple of layers of wax after polishing, protects the car and keeps the shine for a lot longer.

i dont know how to clay mate or where to start buying them etc.........

im a newbie to cleaning , there are some swirl marks that are annoying me I just need some spare time and spare funds, damn Xmas!

Sean

i dont know how to clay mate or where to start buying them etc.........

im a newbie to cleaning , there are some swirl marks that are annoying me I just need some spare time and spare funds, damn Xmas!

Sean

I'm a newbie too, learnt a lot on here and youtube.
Claying is cheap and easy, I did my first one a few months ago, watched a couple of videos on youtube.

:icon_thumright: