What to use for detailing?

RobbieWebs

Reaction score
It's getting near the time and temperature that I can give the motor a good clean and polish. Products I have at hand are - autoglym shampoo. Meguiars deep crystal step 1,2,3. Poorboys black hole show glaze, poorboys natty blue wax. Mer wheel wax. I want to use the meguiars step 1, step 2 polish, then poorboys black hole then the natty blue wax. Or is it better to use the meguiars step 1,2,3 instead or meguiars step 1 followed by poorboys black hole ,with the ex-p sealant then the natty wax? I have a phantom black paint. Cheers :)

What's that black hole like? I have the nattys blue, been tempted by the show glaze !

Lovely stuff Mikemc, goes on and comes off easily, smells great and leaves a fantastic shine. I was impressed after I put it on m8 :)

black hole is pretty good... i prefer it to chemical guys creme glaze. it masks and fills less serious swirls and scratches. good reflective properties like a light polish so catches the light well... its non-oily so works well with sealant.. also lasts a few weeks if just used as a single coat and left on its own. imho dirt is less likely to be attracted to the black hole glaze unlike the cg's when used as a standalone i.e. no seal or wax.

you sound like you have a good combo there to try. I would go for the steps 1 and 2 (polish), seal, glaze and then wax. sealant bonds better to clean paint so after the polish stage is a good move.

black hole is pretty good... i prefer it to chemical guys creme glaze. it masks and fills less serious swirls and scratches. good reflective properties like a light polish so catches the light well... its non-oily so works well with sealant.. also lasts a few weeks if just used as a single coat and left on its own. imho dirt is less likely to be attracted to the black hole glaze unlike the cg's when used as a standalone i.e. no seal or wax.

you sound like you have a good combo there to try. I would go for the steps 1 and 2 (polish), seal, glaze and then wax. sealant bonds better to clean paint so after the polish stage is a good move.

Weather picked up a bit so after washing I tried out the step 1,2 and 3 on the bonnet and the roof. Step 1 was really good for a cleaner and was easy to go on and come off. Step 2 was easy to go on and a bit of work to come off. Step 3 was easy to put on and a bit of work to come off as well. The finished article looks good, feels smooth.
Think il just use the step 1 cleaner with poorboys black hole and ex-p sealand next time as I felt the shine from the black hole is loads better than the meguiars.

Sand paper? Ha

Only joking, I know what you mean with the nice weather. About time! Over the last Two days I've spent 9 hours cleaning and detailing my S3.

Washed with Megs Nxt gen shampoo
Chamois
Clayed with Megs clay and Nxt gen speed detailer.
paint cleaned with megs deep crystal
speed detailer again
Waxed with Megs #16
Alloys washed with Megs Hot rims
Alloys sealed with Autoglym sealer then waxed with the #16
Tyres treated with Megs Hot shine
Oh and touched up all my stone chips and cleaned the inside inc treating the leather with lexol 3 in 1.

Pooped!:lazy:

Haha surprising since the cold weather came in the extra stone chips I seem to have acquired on the front of my bonnet have tripled! Makes it worse no matter how clean the bonnet is after doing it today it's the first thing I notice!
I wish I could have spent 9hrs but its cold here till about 12 Ish.
Sounds like uv made good headway tho m8 :)
just out of interest is the mega hot shine any good?

Its cold here too bud, I'm just hard ha!

I know what you mean about the stone chips. I've only had it 3 months but in that time its been like a stone chip magnet. I do find that leaving a hooge gap between me and the car in front does help.

It is good. It gives the tyres a nice wet look but doesn't last too long and can run onto the alloys. I was thinking whilst I was doing it that I used to use shoe polish on my first couple of cars. Seemed to work pretty well too ha.
DSC03260

Ur cars looking lovely pal, time well spent :)
Iv only had the car since feb myself and didnt see any chips or blemishes when I first got it, seems like it had a good detailer to cover them up lol. In all fairness iv had to pressure wash( which I detest) to keep the car semi clean during the cold and the snow so can't moan really.
boot polish? Tight *** lol.
i might give the tyre dressing a blast as for all the hard work of cleaning it, the tyres look crap and doesn't do it any favours. Means il have to spend more money on detailing stuff tho and the mrs is still shaking her head after the last stuff that came in from the postie lol :)

2013 04 05 175849
A better one if you wanted to see what the hot shine is like

Wow that's impressive m8 looks like il nip down to halfroads tommoz as they have some :)The wheels are gleaming as well, does the megs hot rims remove tar as well? Got a couple of specs here and there on mine in the corners :(

Thanks! Not really. I've use the deep crystal stuff for getting rid of the tar in the past. Or get some proper stuff. Halfords have got a 3 for 2 on car cleaning stuff. I drove down the road to take those pics and theres crap on the car already. 9 hours!!!! :notme:

lime prime is good for starting on a blank canvas... its also great for smoothing out any rough patches left by an abrasive polisher.. that would be the first step after the wash :arco:

Thanks! Not really. I've use the deep crystal stuff for getting rid of the tar in the past. Or get some proper stuff. Halfords have got a 3 for 2 on car cleaning stuff. I drove down the road to take those pics and theres crap on the car already. 9 hours!!!! :notme:
just noticed they had a 2 for 3 just now, came at the right time, reserved it and il get the mrs to pick it up tommoz :)
Neva thought of using megs step 1 for that .... Cheers :)
I feel ur pain I felt like that yesterday after I'd washed it ... But I hadn't spent 9 hrs on it lol ;)

lime prime is good for starting on a blank canvas... its also great for smoothing out any rough patches left by an abrasive polisher.. that would be the first step after the wash :arco:

i take it lime prime is the same idea as megs step 1 m8 ?

I may have to get some black hole then! Cba with anything for my wheels as I'm gonna use these as winters when I purchase some shiny new ones in the coming months

I may have to get some black hole then! Cba with anything for my wheels as I'm gonna use these as winters when I purchase some shiny new ones in the coming months

im sure u won't be disappointed with it m8, looks amazing and smells the same ;)
be fine to have 2 sets of wheels especially to have a winter set with the weather we have had :)