The BEST wheel cleaner around?

I cannot believe I wasted over FIVE minutes of my life watching some **** spray 'is ALREADY CLEAN wheels with some Stuff. Dirty wheels - brush - fairy liquid - job. Done. Yawn.

PS: I'd say that tyre was soft. More checking - less cleaning?

Link works fine for me guys.

Mike B - I'd guess detailing wouldn't be for you, patience might be an issue I'm guessing?

What he shows is overkill to be fair......a quick spray on and leave it for a few minutes while you do your thing. You can pretty much just jetwash them afterwards and they'll be good to go, but, anyone serious about a clean car will get down and wipe them clean to finish

much prefer just sealing the wheels, then using normal shampoo.... each to their own though...

Mike, how about less moaning and putting your toys back in the pram....

you obviously aren't into detailing, so why waste your time looking and commenting???? that bored mate eh?? lol

Reactions: moggytom and Tuddie
Actually, I greatly admire the work you guys do on the "detailing" thing - and made my comments slightly tongue in cheek, which seems to have passed a few folk by. Should have used a Smiley I guess. And, as it happens, I was "looking" for advice on wheel cleaning preparations.

That said, if I did spend several hours cleaning and polishing the car, by the time I got to the main road it'd be dirty again.

Enjoy. Mike.

I use Bilberry, seems to do a cracking job although seems to be struggling in it's current dilution with the caked on brake dust. Will be giving this stuff a go though perhaps...

Actually, I greatly admire the work you guys do on the "detailing" thing - and made my comments slightly tongue in cheek, which seems to have passed a few folk by. Should have used a Smiley I guess. And, as it happens, I was "looking" for advice on wheel cleaning preparations.

That said, if I did spend several hours cleaning and polishing the car, by the time I got to the main road it'd be dirty again.

Enjoy. Mike.

it always gets dirty again... part of the fun! lol

I use Autosmart Smart Wheels, cheaper and better than the rest (IMO)
Follow up with a Tar remover and decontamination spray (I use AS Tardis and Wolf's Decon gel)
Clay, and cleanse if really needed then seal with the product of your choice... (I currently use Concours Ceramishield)

After that, you should only need to use normal shampoo and a power washer to get them clean again...

:arco:

Autosmart yes, cheap and reasonably effective for sure. IMO it does an okay job its the price thats attractive

Bilberry - Yes a great wheel cleaner and favoured by a lot of detailers. As good as it is, not a patch on this, again IMO

Iron X - Seems to be only for brake dust specifically! I tried the Iron Orchard cleanse which is just about as good as Sonax ( takes a little longer and REALLY REALLY SMELLS awful )

From what I've seen, this Sonax is unbeatable if a little pricey.

Amazon are trying to sell it at around £23 a bottle

It can be had on ebay for around £7 though.......Seriously one of the best wheel cleaners you will EVER buy..

Never tried it. I use Wax Tec's Fall Off. IMO the best there is but I will buy this stuff and try it. Seems like Mike_B knows as much about detailing as he does about subtlety - fairy liquid....now thats funny. Bet your car is in ace condition.

I'm using Bilberry wheel cleaner too. May have to reduce dilution ratio though as it doesn't manage to get off the burnt on brake dust from my wheels.

Never tried it. I use Wax Tec's Fall Off. IMO the best there is but I will buy this stuff and try it. Seems like Mike_B knows as much about detailing as he does about subtlety - fairy liquid....now thats funny. Bet your car is in ace condition.

It is actually - thanks for asking. It's always clean inside - and kept as clean externally as living in rural Perthshire will allow, relative to the condition of the roads, and it being a working car. It's also well serviced and runs very nicely. Turtle Wax shampoo and Mer, not to mention a chamois, have done quite nicely over the years. My personal OCD would potentially point me to the type of shine / finish I see "here" but the reality is that (a) I have other interest and (b) I can't be bothered.

As it happens, I used to wash my partners car with Fairy liquid and in all honesty I couldn't tell the difference between the condition of her lovely new company car, and my somewhat less new one which was always washed with some form of automotive shampoo being somewhat aware of the potential pitfalls of washing-up detergents.

Still, if it gives people pleasure to wash and polish their pride and joy to such perfection, then grand.

Each to their own. As I mentioned earlier - here's a :) to apply as needed. Incidentally, is it a good idea to have a wee pop at me under your business banner? You may think it unlikely that I'd be in need to your services - but perhaps one day I might. Just a thought.

Anyway - I'm off to cut the grass and perhaps even wash the car. Incidentally, I bought some sort of wheel cleaning spray from Halfords and it took all the brake dust and staining off nicely. Which does make the wheels look so much nicer.

Kind regards, Mike.

Mike - Its all good mate, thanks for sharing.

We all have different interests, different opinions on our cars and how to care for them, the premise being, its your car do as you like, that goes for everyone.

If your routine works for you and gives you the results that you want, thats great, although most if not all from the detailing faction will disagree with your choices, but then we're all different.

Thanks again for sharing your point of view though Mike....

A4_Majik - Please do yourself a favour and try the Sonax, the burnt on brake dust will liquify and disappear quite quickly.

Reactions: A4_MaJiK

A4_Majik - Please do yourself a favour and try the Sonax, the burnt on brake dust will liquify and disappear quite quickly.

I've got about 4L of Bilberry to get through in the meantime and wheels are due a refurb so haven't been getting much attention anyway. Sonax is on the list as soon as the Bilberry finished however.

Thanks, Az.

I'm using Bilberry wheel cleaner too. May have to reduce dilution ratio though as it doesn't manage to get off the burnt on brake dust from my wheels.

If you like Bilberry wheel cleaner then have a go at Angelwax's Revelation..........this is as good as Wax Tec's Fall Off but smells alot better.

Angelwax actually own Bilberry (they always have) which not alot people know and their Bilberry wheel cleaner uses the same formula since it was introduced years ago. Angelwax have recently released 'Revelation' which can also be used on paintwork too. Caked on brake dust is no problem....just leave it on for about 30 mins and rinse off....no agitation needed.

And I wasn't having a pop at you Mike_B......just found it amusing that someone does actually use Fairy Liquid to wash their car seeing as its probably one of the worst things you can use. I do apologise if my comment seemed a little harsh....it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimC64 and A4_MaJiK
Link to the sonax please, seem quiet a few variants on amazon. I'm getting my alloys refurbed, what should I seal them with?

Theres a afew good wheel sealants around. I use the Bilberry Wheel sealant from Angelwax. You can get it in 100ml or 200ml containers. I have both sizes in stock if your after any. PM me if your interested.

Holy thread revival! :) Wheel sealant is the way forward, then just use ordinary shampoo.

Link to the sonax please, seem quiet a few variants on amazon. I'm getting my alloys refurbed, what should I seal them with?

Link to Sonax...
Sonax Xtreme Full Effect Wheel Cleaner | eBay

As for sealant?
Your choice, I don't bother personally as the road grime / brake dust etc doesn't sit there long enough for me to worry about.

I've heard some people using wax such as they use for the car, although there are special wheel sealants out there..

I fear Demon Shine is better than all of the above.

Sorry chumps, but generally speaking on a daily basis my car is cleaner than all of yours so I guess I'm right.

:beerchug:

I got some cheap stuff from ALDI yes ALDI not AUDI. I've had it for a few months, spray it on, leave it a minute or so, then wash it off, its unreal the amount of dirt it gets rid of so easy, and they literally wipe clean! I've used a few different wheel cleaners before, this Aldi stuff is just as good. :kissmyrings:

Wonder Wheels has always worked perfectly well and in the spray application is a doddle to use. Spray on, agitate, leave, rinse, job done.