Insurance Renewal

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Got my renewal through from Elephant.com. It was £621.

Phoned Adrian Flux, as recommended by many on this forum, and they quoted me £436 like-for-like, or £478 including breakdown cover.

I nearly bit their hand off! As my present breakdown cover cost me £80, that represents a total saving of £223.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I'm with Elephant, who do seem quite reasonable, even though i have had 2 fault claims within 3 years, and they will still protect my no-claims while no one else would.

[ QUOTE ]

Phoned Adrian Flux, as recommended by many on this forum, and they quoted me £436 like-for-like, or £478 including breakdown cover.

I nearly bit their hand off! As my present breakdown cover cost me £80, that represents a total saving of £223.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crikey! What insurance group is the 2.8 Jeff? or is it the speeding tickets that bump your insurance up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

The 2.8 is group 17, I think, & I don't suppose the six points help, but that premium also covers my missus, who learned to drive relatively late in life, & has only had a full licence for about 18 months.

Let's put that into perspective, though. I bought my first car in 1984, aged 22. It was an 1976 Opel Ascona 1.9SR, & I paid £775 for it. I had a five-year clean licence, but no NCB, & the premium was £306 (39% of the car's value) for third-party, fire & theft.

Put in those terms, & allowing for 21 years' worth of price inflation, the new premium on the 2.8 (less than 7% of the car's value) is a bargain.

I've just been reading an article in this morning's Times which says that most insurers now ignore a first speed camera offence, and maybe even a second.

Their research said that for a 40-year-old male with six points (that roughly fits me) , the premium loading would be an average of just £13. A 21-year-old male with nine points would typically be loaded £103.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a requote thro' the web side using an alias with all the same details for car & address etc.

Admiral (part of the same group as elephant) just tried this renewal blag on me again. Went on admiral website, changed my name kept all other details the same and got nearly £200 off. Ring them up tell them you want to renew except you'll take your new quote..Jobsagud'un /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

BELL DIRECT are also part of admiral (who i was with) and bet admiral by 50 quid.

Adrmiral were the best for me by far. I managed to get their quote even lower by following some great advice in this thread.

I tried many places before getting the best quote from First Alternative. Ok it was £829 but that's with ins group 17, living on edge of city centre and 6 years protected NCD, still a lot less than any of the others i.e. Tesco who were £1000 plus, Norwich Union was over £1500!

If you want a lot of quotes all at once, try www.confused.com

I must admit, both my wife and I have just renewed our insurances with Adrian Flux. They were the only company that would give me an agreed valuation, taking all modifications into account and still keep the premium below £1000.

And I'm 34!