Detailing Newbie

READER84

Reaction score
Hi, im planning on taking a bit more pride in my recently purchased A4 S Line and have a few questions if people can help...

Machine Polishing - Hearing good things about this as i understand you will get a better finish and overall better job but is it recommended for a novice to try using one? What can go wrong? What type is best and easiest?

Also what products on the market are good for swirl mark removal?

Thanks

I'd get shown how to use one, worst thing you can do is burn through the paint/clearcoat. You need to get the right pad and polish combination for your car which can take a bit of experimenting. The car needs to be clinically clean before you do it as well, ie full wash, de-contaminate using clay, de-tar and de-iron, otherwise you're just dragging it around the panels. Get yourself over to detailing world and have a look at guides.

"detailing" is a mine field once you get into it, and can cost days of work and hundreds of pounds... so think seriously how far you want to go!

for example, are you ok spending £150+ on a (bottom of the range) paint reader to use before machine polishing.... there are so many different stages, products, tools etc...

if you are just wanting it a bit more shiney... I would wash, clay, hand polish (Gtechniq P1 for example), then maybe a glaze and a wax... or just a sealant.... you'll get a decent enough finish without the outlay of money and time on machine polishing...

:thumbsup:

Reactions: Steve220
To be honest if i can get a decent finish and remove some swirls by hand ill do it that way, whats this Gtechniq?

What methods and products do you use?

Poorboys Blackhole is fantastic for hiding swirls then just put a decent wax over the top. To get rid of them by hand is going to be hard work as Audi paint is notoriously hard.

To be honest if i can get a decent finish and remove some swirls by hand ill do it that way, whats this Gtechniq?

What methods and products do you use?

its a company that has designed P1 for use by hand....

i have a rotary polisher... and will spend anything up to 30 hours on a car.... I don't recommend it! lol

i have a few details on here, my S4 after a quick clean and 'finishing' polish can be seen here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/172439-quick-clean-new-car.html

or just look here for the finished pic... I think it looks OK for not having a full machine polish...

IMG_6094Copy.jpg

Looks good, whats the difference between P1 and P2?

What clay do you use?

i havent use them personally, just going by the decend write ups they get... but by the looks of things...

P1 is a 'all in one' type, and can be used by hand...

P2 is a finishing polish to be used by machine for the final polish...

I use Zaino Z18 with ONR as the spray lube.

That Zaino stuffs pretty dear, you used 3M before?

What polish do you use by hand?

That Zaino stuffs pretty dear, you used 3M before?

I don't polish by hand...

In the link I gave you, the Autobrite polish can be used by hand, as can stuff by Zaino, Dodo, and other companies...

I used to use 3m with my rotary (that's the 3m one too) but I feel they are a bit dated now and not the best out there... I've found Scholl to work pretty well with the hard Audi paint.

I don't polish by hand...

In the link I gave you, the Autobrite polish can be used by hand, as can stuff by Zaino, Dodo, and other companies...

I used to use 3m with my rotary (that's the 3m one too) but I feel they are a bit dated now and not the best out there... I've found Scholl to work pretty well with the hard Audi paint.

Cant find the Autobrite polish, just the nano seal, also its the 3M clay i was looking at.

it's here http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/polishing-prep-waxing/cutting-correction-polishes-finishing-polishes/scratch-out-by-autobrite.html

The 3M Perfect-It Triple polishing kit is well worth the money and isnt really outdated. Personally I think its great at cutting Audi paint regardless of swirl depth and defects.

it's here http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/polishing-prep-waxing/cutting-correction-polishes-finishing-polishes/scratch-out-by-autobrite.html

How far you reckon a 250ml bottle would go?

How far you reckon a 250ml bottle would go?

i used it with my DA machine, and used very little...

using it by hand, will need a bit more product (usually) but even with that you'll have loads left if doing an A4...

you would only really use it once, maybe twice a year... it'll be OK for finer swirls, but won't touch the deeper stuff...

as I said at the start, it's all about how far you want to go....if you want truly flawless paint you'll need a machine polisher, or big arms and a LOT of time... :D

detailing is an art form, not much science in it, and everyone has different views on all steps and products... a good way is to try and get some samples to try the different products/ranges...not one company does everything well, and there is a lot of "me too" products and a lot of hype in the UK with a lot of companies just rebranding the same thing over and over again - just trying to make money I guess...

have fun and see where it takes you....