Another detail - Audi A8

the_cueball

Reaction score
Some pictures to start with, just general dirt and grime really... the owner has had it for a couple of months and hasn’t washed it to “help me out” :lol: :rolleyes:

IMG_6097Copy.jpg

IMG_6098Copy.jpg

IMG_6099Copy.jpg

IMG_6100Copy.jpg

IMG_6101Copy.jpg

IMG_6102Copy.jpg

IMG_6103Copy.jpg

And the very spacious interior, as usual for him, all black too!

IMG_6106Copy.jpg

IMG_6104Copy.jpg

IMG_6105Copy.jpg

IMG_6107Copy.jpg

Finally, the TDi powerplant...

IMG_6108Copy.jpg

IMG_6110Copy.jpg

IMG_6109Copy.jpg

After giving the car a good hose down, it was out with the snow foam – still using CG No touch, gratuitous SN shots... :lol:

IMG_6112Copy.jpg

IMG_6113Copy.jpg

I went round the car with G101 in all the nooks and crannies, door hinges etc, then washed the car using the 2BM and concours shampoo...

While I was down in the CG unit on Friday, I picked up some of their new iron dissolver... can’t remember the name of it, and, as usual for me, the bottle has no label! Same as my snow foam! :lol:

Anyway, I sprayed onto the wheels as normal, and left for 10 minutes to work away...

IMG_6111Copy.jpg

At this stage it was just taken off with the PW...

After the car was cleaned with the shampoo, I went onto my usual 3 stage decon routine – any tar was dealt with via Tardis, then onto the 2nd chemical stage with the new CG stuff, and finally I clayed the whole car, including the windows with Zaino clay and ONR as the lube...

The engine was cleaned, and sprayed with 303 and left...

Check out my “action” shot... :D :lol:

IMG_6114Copy.jpg

It was then snowfoamed again, rinsed and dried with the help of AS tango... leaving this to start the polishing!

IMG_6115Copy.jpg

IMG_6116Copy.jpg

IMG_6117Copy.jpg

IMG_6118Copy.jpg

IMG_6119Copy.jpg

IMG_6120Copy.jpg

I had noticed 1 paint chip that had been filled in on the rear passenger door... it was raised a little bit, as you can see here with the paint readings...

IMG_6121Copy.jpg

The paint reading just beside it (115um)

IMG_6123Copy.jpg

And right on the paint chip (260um)

IMG_6124Copy.jpg

So, a bit of a difference, and I’ll come back to that later on...

First of all I had to get the rest of the car polished, and tried a few combos out before settling on polishing with a gloss it wool pad using Scholl S3 and a small drop of S40 to help wet it a little... then refined with a 3M black finishing pad and Megs 205... I still have to refine my technique to the short working times and small amount of product needed, as I was still getting quite a bit of dust, but it got better as I went along! :lol:

So, some mid polishing shots, 50/50 etc... not the best since I work in a warehouse and not a “detailing studio” plus I’m pretty s**t with a camera!! but then, I’m not a pro, so not that bothered.... hopefully it still gives you an idea of what was going on... :D

IMG_6125Copy.jpg

IMG_6126Copy.jpg

And some other shots just trying to show the condition of the paint after polishing...

IMG_6127Copy.jpg

IMG_6128Copy.jpg

IMG_6131Copy.jpg

And finally got to use one of my RotEx bars! :D

IMG_6142Copy.jpg

So with all that out of the way, I went back to that filled in stone chip... several ways to deal with this, including, but not limited to polishing, wet sanding or de-nibbing... all with pros and cons... this time, I decided to take the de-nibbing option, and got out my Festool :D

IMG_6134Copy.jpg

A couple of careful passes later, and we are all good.... new paint readings below (128um, down from the original of 260um)... and after it was polished with the above combo, it can hardly be seen... :D

IMG_6136Copy.jpg

IMG_6138Copy.jpg

So with all the polishing done, it was back outside for another quick wash to get rid of some dust, the a dry and a couple of wipedowns with IPA to ensure the paint etc was as clean as possible with no oils etc...

Because of the weather, lack of sun and rain, I decided to try and get some “finished” pics out in the light just incase I didn’t have time later.... so this is pre LSP, but after polishing...

IMG_6144Copy.jpg

IMG_6145Copy.jpg

IMG_6147Copy.jpg

IMG_6148Copy.jpg

The LSP of choice is concours ceramishield, and this was used on all paint, windows, wheels, plastics... basically everything on the outside! This was done before the interior etc to allow as much time as possible for it to sure.... ;)

Interior was hoovered, then cleaned using the AS tornador and Bio Brisk... The seats were cleaned with Dr Leather wipes, then the dash, doors and leather was treated to a couple of coats of PERL, diluted 7:1 to help it out...and the seals were treated with gummi pflege to help out with the cold winter coming up....

The engine was dressed via the tornador and finish...

The tyres were dressed with AS highstyle, and with a quick blast of bubblegum air freshener, it was all done!! :D

As the CS was curing so quickly, I had to apply and buff off in rapid time, so I did manage to get some finished pics afterall....Cheers to Lee for answering my question about the CS on a Sunday – top man.... ;)

IMG_6161Copy.jpg

IMG_6163Copy.jpg

IMG_6164Copy.jpg

IMG_6165Copy.jpg

IMG_6169Copy.jpg

And the door where the paint chip was...

IMG_6167Copy.jpg

The interior shots...

IMG_6166Copy.jpg

IMG_6151Copy.jpg

IMG_6150Copy.jpg

And finally, the engine all finished too...

IMG_6157Copy.jpg

IMG_6156Copy.jpg

IMG_6155Copy.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always all comments and criticism most welcome...

:thumb:

looking good , nicely done

liking them wheels too , bmw ish .

what is that festool denibbler thing , how does it work ? it certainly fixed the problem :thumbsup:

Reactions: the_cueball