touch up paint! am i doing it wrong?

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
ok!
i have an a4 avant s line in akoya silver. 2005
after several polishes and clay sessions plus 83k on the clock! i also have a few scratches and stone chips.
i got myself a genuine audi akoya touch up pen kit,(paint plus clear coat) and proceeded to wash my car clean today so i can touch up the offending areas.
not many places were needed correcting, stone chips mainly, a couple of deep ones on bonnet and wing mirror, a few slight ones on wings and a little squiggle scratch near fuel flap.
these were not really that bad, but i knew they were there, so decided to sort them out! :sly:
in a nut shell, they look even worse now with paint on than they did without! :wtf:

is there a nack with touching up stone chips that i dont know about?
or do i wait for paint to fully cure and polish up? (i am sure this will just remove the fresh touch up paint!)

anyways, i look forward to any advise you chaps may have!
chez x

Reactions: Lester M. Wesley
From the guides I have seen you tend to do a couple of coats of colour then about 4-5 coats of lacquer, by this point the touch-up is above the level of the rest of the paint, you then sand it down with 3000 grit wet 'n' dry used wet then polish it up after to restore the shine to the paint.

Here's the how to guide from paints 4 U http://www.paints4u.com/pdffiles/Scratch%20Master%20Kit.pdf

Apply it in the thinnest layers possible, some people recommend using a toothpick to apply the paint.

cheers people! some good advice there!
wet and dry terrifies me though! :notme:
as long as you dont go through the clear coat and have a good enough polish/pad combo its ok.
dont the touch up kits come with a little pad thats abrassive like wet n dry?

id personally do this. but you need to find a good pad and polish combo for your car to restore it afterwards

The brush they provide is far too big, therefore a tooth pick or pin head is much better. Put some of the paint on a card and use from their rather than direct from the bottle.

Generally on touch-ups you would use wet and dry paper, however ideally you need a DA or some kind of machine to polish back up, ie remove the fine sanding marks and restore. Beware though you can restore the shine but leave sanding marks so you will need something quite aggressive and it shouldnt take the new paint off.

I was told by an expert.Silver absolute the hardest colour to restore.

Hope you can do a half decent job.May have to settle for less than you hoped for though.

Reactions: Tony22593
I never use the brushes with the touch up paint. I was recommended to use a fine artist brush from Hobbycraft or the likes and then clean it with thinners. I have also used the Halfords touch up paint as the pen nib is very good at putting down a small spot of paint. They can mix the paint in most stores if they dont hold the colour on the shelf.

ok!
i have an a4 avant s line in akoya silver. 2005
after several polishes and clay sessions plus 83k on the clock! i also have a few scratches and stone chips.
i got myself a genuine audi akoya touch up pen kit,(paint plus clear coat) and proceeded to wash my car clean today so i can touch up the offending areas.
not many places were needed correcting, stone chips mainly, a couple of deep ones on bonnet and wing mirror, a few slight ones on wings and a little squiggle scratch near fuel flap.
these were not really that bad, but i knew they were there, so decided to sort them out! :sly:
in a nut shell, they look even worse now with paint on than they did without! :wtf:

is there a nack with touching up stone chips that i dont know about?
or do i wait for paint to fully cure and polish up? (i am sure this will just remove the fresh touch up paint!)

anyways, i look forward to any advise you chaps may have!
chez x

Hi Chez,

You can look at the website I'm going to. I think your car is in color.
https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-paint/audi-a4-avant-2005,120

I had a pretty bad one on my bonnet after a stone hit it. All I did was mix up 50:50 colour and lacquer and gently touch it in with a tooth pick. Sanded it flat with some 2500 once dry and ran the polisher over it. Still there, but you really have to look for it.

My local detailer told me to apply the touch up paint with the square end of a cocktail stick.....gets you the thin layers needed for the multiple coats required. I've never tried it though!