Cleaning under the bonnet - best way?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
I want to give you see in the engine bay a clean as it's all a bit dusty and grubby!

Any suggestions?

I flicked through a classic car mag the other day which had a lengthy advert by AutoGlym on how to use their products for this. In brief wrap cling film around all electrical stuff, use a hose with gun to add pressure/similar, use a decorators brush- cant remember which type so may be worth flicking through mags/checking their website.

was a good read.

I use a degreaser and hose pipe to rise off or watering can so not to hard on the electrical bit's

I can't remeber who told me, but a while ago i was told not to have the engine running as it could suck water in maybe??? although i suppose it makes more sense to have it running!!

In the old days when there used to be plenty of oil & grease leaking out of engines, I used to steam clean (or jet wash) my engine bays, but unless there has been a mechanical problem, the only thing that's likely to be in the engine bay these days is general road grime.

Its really not a good idea to be spraying water all around the engine bay as it will start the corrosion process on pipes and connectors that otherwise would never get wet.

I've kept my engine bays clean for many years now by just using a damp duster or microfibre cloth and a bucket of car-wash n wax shampoo.

On some of the plastics, I use a plastic cleaner spray (like Autoglym interior shampoo or Comma Interior Cleaner)... and I use metal wadding like Duraglit on some of the metal pipes and other metal surfaces...

Whatever you do - don't stick your arm anywhere near the engine bay to clean it with the engine running. There are moving pulleys, belts and fans that could injure you. And yes - if you get any quantity of water into the air intake, it could seriously damage the engine....