EM TuningVolks Autos
    _G_
    4th Gear

Status

Cob web swirls and strong sunlight...

I was at it 4 hours... and the results are amazing... but I noticed that when I took it out for a spin... and the sunlight is really strong today... shock horror!

Now as I was saying... under strong sunligh and up close and personal this is what I see... but if you look at it from anything further than 20-30cm you can't fault it... it looks flawless... in the garage under fluorescent light, again it looks pretty good... but shine the light about 10cm from the surface and I see this!

I'm good with my DA technique... but I just don't know what happened here.

I finished off with Dodo Juice Blue Velvet and Sealed it with Megs.
    The terrors of having a brilliant black car!

I may just end up buying the black fire kit and giving it a try.

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    what did you use for the correction?
    may have not been enough for audis hard paint.
    when correcting you should be under bright artificial light and be checking up close with bright light to monitor your progress

Status
    I'm glad I'm not alone.

Been using snow foam, lambs wool wash mitt, super soft drying towels and an early coat of Jetseal and I'm fighting a losing battle.

Was looking to buy a DA kit, but I think I'll save the cash and get a professional in once a year as it looks quite a painstaking job.

1st Gear

Status
    Did you machine the full car in 4 hours? It looks to me like you've either 1. not worked it long enough to remove all the original swirls
    or 2. You've used a very abrasive pad and polish combo, and that has created its own minor swirls, which would need refining to remove

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not alone.

Been using snow foam, lambs wool wash mitt, super soft drying towels and an early coat of Jetseal and I'm fighting a losing battle.

Was looking to buy a DA kit, but I think I'll save the cash and get a professional in once a year as it looks quite a painstaking job.
    I can recommend Detail My Car based in Newbury, Warren. No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    cheers homies...

I clayed and waxed in 3 hours and I started with the DA for 1 hour... I flattened it down... looked all grey... the wife said: are you sure its supposed to be that colour? anyhow... it was a flop with megs compund but i since then have used 3m fast cut..

3M Perfect-it III Fast Cut PLUS Compound - Polish Your Car

and did it properly with lights.. well my uncle owns a petrol station... so thats where i did it... in the car wash... strange place but the lighting was perfect.. ive got it spot on.. photo to follow... missing camera cable = cant upload :-(

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    Are you saying you wet sanded the bonnet??

I'm really hoping that you also used another polish after the fast cut plus if not a few to refine the a) possible sanding marks; b) cutting marks created by the aggressive compound and pad combination; and finally c) the marring and holograms.....

Black is one of the most difficult colours to work on as it shows up any imperfections, therefore the cutting side is easy to do but your skills come in to play more how how well you can refine.

In regard to lighting it's good to use a combination of halogen lights (high wattage - I have 500 watt bulbs in each of my lights), LED and natural sunlight to show potential holograming which is not always evident under the halogens.

Another important factor is that polishes such as the 3m range including Fast Cut Plus contain heavy fillers and oils which although yes you do get correction will also fill and hide some imperfections so it's very important to use a alcohol based panel spray/wipe to go over the polished area after buffing the residue.

If you do not use a product of this kind afterwards you will experience sometimes within a matter of hours (particularly on the bonnet area due to the additional heat from the engine) something called "Fallback" which is where the fillers have dried out to reveal any areas that have not been corrected plus potential marring and holograms.
    Last edited by Juicy Jen; 15th August 2012 at 21:28.

Authorised Sponsor of Audi-Sport.net with exclusive offers for members

2012 8P3 AKA The Green Goblin in Exclusive Java Green, Stage 1 Shark bite

4th Gear

Status
    Out of interest has anyone tried this 6W LED Portable Work light : Floodlighting & PIR Lighting : Maplin Electronics ?

Jen: do you tend to use IPA still or do you use CarPro Eraser? If IPA is it diluted?

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    I tend to just use Eraser now, but in the past IPA and with the product we had I never diluted it and had no issues.....

Authorised Sponsor of Audi-Sport.net with exclusive offers for members

2012 8P3 AKA The Green Goblin in Exclusive Java Green, Stage 1 Shark bite

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    yeh i wet sanded it... decent microns on the paint depth gauge... i mixed the 3m with farcela g mop.. i got this tip off bodywork solihull... you're right the paint is hard as nails and black is the hardest colour to work with but i'm learning... it's good to know... cheers for your reply! :-) I can't do the flood lights as I have epilepsy.. even with polarized sun glasses on its not easy for me.. i'm going to take it to my valettor in solihull and get him to finish it off but it looks good so far. will look into the eraser... this could put a new spin on things.

G