Engine bay steam cleaning

Mcdubber1

Reaction score
Hi

Someone told me recently that it is not recommended to steam clean engine's anymore. Is this true?

I was thinking of getting my B8 2.0 TFSi bay done and then smarten it up some more myself after it had been done.

It is quite dirty in there and would take me hours if i were to do it myself.

Cheers

So long as you cover all the electrical connections so they dont get wet then it should be fine.. Of course there's always a chance something can go wrong when usig water where electrics are so i take no responsibility for your actions :)

Yeah cheers mate, i'll maybe just get it done by a company who know's what they are doing.

i still wouldnt recommend it.. id say just detail it properly... it takes me about 1h30 mins but even steam cant get it as good and long lasting as good ol elbow grease...

ive learned my lesson from a professional company who 1. accepted no liability and 2... they had been doing it for years and i was one of the unlucky ones and had to fork out for a new lambda sensor.

I done my S3 engine bay a few times.. Started it up and left it idling till it was hot, turned it off, pressure washed all the crap away, degreased everything and then washed it down again and let it sit so the engine heat can dry it.. All visible connections were covered and pools of water were blown away via compressed air if spotted. Get some 303 airospace protectant on there and let it dry and voila, brand new engine bay!

What products would people recommend for cleaning my engine bay myself? I've used gunk in the past and found that it can discolour hoses ect. I do have some in my garage, maybe if i just use it on the inner wings and bulkhead and keep it away from the plastics it might be ok?

303 aerospace, is that for the plastics? I've heard good reviews on it before right enough!

It defiately looks like i'll be purchasing some 303 aeorspace, cheers for the info on that guys but what should i use to clean my engine bay?

I've spotted the Autosmart G101 on the Polished Bliss website which looks like it should do the job?

nah get the 303 and if you cant get the 303 then with the engine off/cold then ive found that autoglym showroom shine can spray does fairly good job... it just needs 2-3 applications to get a 303 equivalent result.

Yeah I will get the 303 for the finish but i need something to clean it first which is where the Autosmart G101 came in. The 303 doesn't clean does it?

Yeah that is what. I will defo need some degreaser. How much would the delivery be of I were to purchase both of those products?