Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Engine bay steam cleaning

Hi

Someone told me recently that it is not recommended to steam clean engine's anymore. Is this true?

I was thinking of getting my B8 2.0 TFSi bay done and then smarten it up some more myself after it had been done.

It is quite dirty in there and would take me hours if i were to do it myself.

Cheers
    2009 B8 A4 2.0 TFSi in Misano Red - Shark Performance Stage 1 - Forge FMIC - Forge Diverter Valve - Eibach Spotline's

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Owner

Status
    So long as you cover all the electrical connections so they dont get wet then it should be fine.. Of course there's always a chance something can go wrong when usig water where electrics are so i take no responsibility for your actions

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah cheers mate, i'll maybe just get it done by a company who know's what they are doing.
    2009 B8 A4 2.0 TFSi in Misano Red - Shark Performance Stage 1 - Forge FMIC - Forge Diverter Valve - Eibach Spotline's

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    i still wouldnt recommend it.. id say just detail it properly... it takes me about 1h30 mins but even steam cant get it as good and long lasting as good ol elbow grease...

ive learned my lesson from a professional company who 1. accepted no liability and 2... they had been doing it for years and i was one of the unlucky ones and had to fork out for a new lambda sensor.

5th Gear

Status
    i wouldn't do a petrol, i do my diesel all the time
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

S3 Owner

Status
    I done my S3 engine bay a few times.. Started it up and left it idling till it was hot, turned it off, pressure washed all the crap away, degreased everything and then washed it down again and let it sit so the engine heat can dry it.. All visible connections were covered and pools of water were blown away via compressed air if spotted. Get some 303 airospace protectant on there and let it dry and voila, brand new engine bay!

1st Gear

Status
    What products would people recommend for cleaning my engine bay myself? I've used gunk in the past and found that it can discolour hoses ect. I do have some in my garage, maybe if i just use it on the inner wings and bulkhead and keep it away from the plastics it might be ok?

303 aerospace, is that for the plastics? I've heard good reviews on it before right enough!

5th Gear

Status
    303 is ace on most stuff, i used it on my s2000 roof, tyres and rubber seals
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    It defiately looks like i'll be purchasing some 303 aeorspace, cheers for the info on that guys but what should i use to clean my engine bay?

1st Gear

Status
    I've spotted the Autosmart G101 on the Polished Bliss website which looks like it should do the job?

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    nah get the 303 and if you cant get the 303 then with the engine off/cold then ive found that autoglym showroom shine can spray does fairly good job... it just needs 2-3 applications to get a 303 equivalent result.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I will get the 303 for the finish but i need something to clean it first which is where the Autosmart G101 came in. The 303 doesn't clean does it?

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    No 303 is best just used for dressing....depending on how dirty the engine bay is you can get away with using just APC. If it's quite bad then a degreaser is what you need - I tend to use Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser

Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Orange Degreaser 16oz | Engine & Exterior | Juicy Detailing

We also sell 303
    303 Aerospace Protectant 16oz | Interior | Juicy Detailing

Authorised Sponsor of Audi-Sport.net with exclusive offers for members

2012 8P3 AKA The Green Goblin in Exclusive Java Green, Stage 1 Shark bite

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah that is what. I will defo need some degreaser. How much would the delivery be of I were to purchase both of those products?