Appying wax etc

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for the following:

1) Applying wax
2) Buffing wax off
3) Drying after washing

Also, do you use regular sponges for washing? I tend to use a new one every wash as they are nice and cheap but do you guys use the Megs lambswool thingie or something else?

TIA

1) Meguires Applicator pads
2) Terry towel
3) Meguire Microfibre waffle cloth.

As for washing, I use the Meguires lambswool wash mit. Much better than sponges!

I use meguiars applicators, and a 'quantity' of terry towels, and a few microfibre cloths for final finishing..

Drying I use the autoglym blade, but do the detail with the autoglym synthetic chamois - the first synthetic one Ive ever been impressed with (traditionalist? me??) - works very well indeed (See here)

and yes, every now and then, the whole lot gets chucked in the washing machine, and well some staining exists on the cloths, they work perfectly, and are as good as new funtionally.

(not sure what it does to the washer though!!)

Disaster this week though - having been painting a gate at the mother in laws, I got home to find the lid of the tin (Black hammerite) had come off.. paint tin had been placed in the box in the boot of my car.. not a single salvageable cloth.. going to be an expensive week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I do also have a £100 polisher from machine mart, with a number of different attachments.. and never use it, really not convinced its any better than 'by hand' .. maybe I'm using it wrong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

1. Use Meguairs Applicator pads, nothing else as they are very easy to use and spread the polish well.

2. Use Meguairs Terry Towel, I have about 5 off these but a £4 a pop it is quite pricey. Went to a carboot and picked up 5 towels for a quid and they were all cotton and identical to the Meguairs ones!

3. Use my Autoglym Chamois which I bought on day one I got the S3 (crikey over 3 years ago). I find that the chamois you use should be the only one you use on your car. Mainly as the chamois gets used to the paintwork and now glodes around the car colleting the water well. As a result I have another chamois for the missus car, sad I know.

Have a Hydra blade, but only use it on the glass, Had a nasty experience on the roof where it caught something and dragged and nice light scratch on the top. Since then I never use a blade on a cars bodywork don't trust it.

I use a cotton wash mitt on the car. Does well and feels easier to use compared to a conventional sponge.

Oh and you can wash all of them in the machine no probs