Removing road tar

scotty33

Reaction score
Due to the recent hot weather i've got melted road tar stuck on my beloved S3's bodywork. Has anybody got tip's on how to remove it without damaging the paintwork.

any good paint and panel supplier should sell TFR (traffic film remover) spray it on, leave for a couple of mins then hose off then continue to clean it as normal. works great on bugs and wheel dust too! just dont ****** off for dinner and leave it on thinking the longer its on the easier it will come off as it usually contains a bit of caustic soda.

[ QUOTE ]
any good paint and panel supplier should sell TFR (traffic film remover) spray it on, leave for a couple of mins then hose off then continue to clean it as normal. works great on bugs and wheel dust too! just dont ****** off for dinner and leave it on thinking the longer its on the easier it will come off as it usually contains a bit of caustic soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

TFR is WAY too agressive for cars IMO, but I suppose if you didn't leave it on too long it might be ok - it'll strip any wax off the car too.

Best best (I find) is to use either autoglym tar remover, or a dab of petrol on a cloth, to remove the tar. If you car has a decent coat of wax on it removing tar and bugs is a hell of a lot easier this time of year.

Adam

WD40, leave it for 30secs to a minute then wipe off with your normal soapy water and sponge.

[ QUOTE ]
WD40, leave it for 30secs to a minute then wipe off with your normal soapy water and sponge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to "wash" my landrover in WD40 when I had it - especially before I went off roading, and never had bugs stuck to it.

Sheep, badgers, and deer however are another matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Yep, WD seems to work - I tried the meguirs stuff but I think i screwed up the application and it left a load of creamy mess all over my car (insert creamy mess over my car joke here)

Try WD40 for the cheap and easy way but the best way I find is by using a clay bar once every 3 months. This leaves the finish like glass.