2nd go with the DA

scotty76

Reaction score
Following on from my first, brief attempt last month I managed to get round the rest of the car with my DA. As there's about to be a hose pipe ban it's probably best to get some protection on the paint. :)

Products used:
- Planet Polish Hullabaloo shampoo
- Iron X (spot treatments only as by experimenting I've found the car has little or no contamination of the kind this deals with)
- Meguiars Quik Clay kit
- Dodo Juice Lime Prime via DAS6 DA and Chemical Guys White Hexlogic pad
- Autoglym HD Wax

P1030471.jpg

P1030472.jpg

P1030470.jpg

P1030469.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Looking great Scott, but I don't like the tree.....lots of nice sap going all over the car :(

How did you find it second time around?

Last edited:
Looking great Scott, but I don't like the tree.....lots of nice sap going all over the car :(

How did you find it second time around?

Jen, do you know I've never had an issue with sap from that particular tree. I don't know if it's the kind of tree it is or what but it's never been an issue. Sadly the other trees in our garden do chuck out a load of sap but thankfully I don't have to park under them anymore. I used to which is why I know how much of a pain sap is!

Second time around was good. I only had one minor panic where I'd missed buffing a bit of the lime prime off and it had dried. I panicked because at first glance it looked like some kind of buffer trail but I just didn't believe it could be and sure enough it wasn't. Quick spray of quick detailer and it wiped straight off.

Best moment was when the neighbour popped over to see WTF I was up to and pointed out I had a great 50/50 line straight down the middle of the roof as I was still working on it. It just proved to me that despite the car looking clean the lime prime was really making a difference.

I'm pleased with the outcome took about 5-6 hours. So I will be back to doing one panel at a time as I don't often have that much time. With the hose pipe ban imminent I'll focus on getting another coat of wax on to help with the cleaning rather than more DA action.

One final thing, I don't know how you do this all day. My arms were killing me at the end of the day! :)

Tree sap can be one of the worst things every - I had a red astra in before christmas and I've never experienced anything so bad even after claying with quick an aggressive clay you could still feel that the panels were not soft and smooth.

Machining polishing is not about having great big massive muscles, (as I've had guys come back in that do body building and complained) its about having the stamina to go on for hours and hours (ooo how rude!)

I've had that experience with LP too - qd is great to get rid of it :)

stunning result mate!should be proud of yourself! Id get a cover whilst the tree is in leaf.have in the past parked under a lime tree for one day in the summer...the sap burnt straight through the lacquer.

Just seen this linked from another post. How did you find lime prime with a white hex pad? Did it remove minor swirls? It's a combo I am looking at for using on my A4

Just seen this linked from another post. How did you find lime prime with a white hex pad? Did it remove minor swirls? It's a combo I am looking at for using on my A4

I enjoyed using Lime Prime on the white pad. It was straight forward and gave a great finish before applying the wax. My top tip (which I mention earlier in the thread) is if it dries, don't panic like I did, a quick spray of QD and it will wipe off. :)

This is just my opinion but I would say it filled the minor swirls rather than removed them. For me that was fine as it was what I expected and indeed what I had bought Lime Prime for. I don't have any halogen work lights so it's hard for me to correct the paint anyway as I rely on the daylight to see what I am doing!

Having since used Megs #105 on an Orange Hex Logic pad to try and tackle some very light scratches (which didn't fully come out) I can tell you the paint is truely rock hard so I doubt the Lime Prime would touch it.

There's a more scientific examination of Lime Prime's capabilities over on DW... Dodo Juice Lime Prime - Correction & Filling by Rotary - Detailing World

In summary, Lime Prime is a great product and I was very happy with the results. Just don't be conned into believing it's a "wonder" product which will fix everything, which some people seem to suggest it is. If you have Japanese paint that might be true but it won't touch the Audi paint. :)

Completely agree Scotty Lime Prime is an excellent versitile product that I always have in my kit. Like all products it depends on what paint type your working on.

Using Lime Prime; a white hex logic polishing/light cut pad in combination with a DA on hard paint your going to get minimal cut if anything therefore the fillers will be doing all the work. I would state however that the results achieve though will be far better than by hand so its still a worthwhile exercise.

This is what I need to make my mind up on purchase a machine over doing the job by hand with a microfibre applicator. My car only has light swirls mainly from previous owner wash technique I think, I have used the two bucket method for ages. I ain't into getting the condition immaculate just maybe get the Lime Prime working a lot better than it is by hand use.