• 1 Post By TripleD
  • 1 Post By moag
  • 1 Post By TripleD
  • 1 Post By johnnythepie

Thread: Car detailing with hose pipe ban

Audi Novice

Status

Question Car detailing with hose pipe ban

So I have to ask the question, with the hose pipe ban looming in the 5th April, how are you meant to keep your car clean?

Ironic how I've just received my annual water bill, that's gone up in price shortly followed by an announcement that you are restricted on what water you can use!
    Danman1 likes this.
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    You can still use a bucket and watering can. Also have a Google for "optimum no rinse".

thats me

Status
    Don`t think we will get a hosepipe ban here
    red to red black to black blue to bits

5th Gear

Status
    It is only for private households so I can use it at my sisters industrial unit?

5th Gear

Status
    yer erm...what we going to do
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Thank feck we never get hosepipe bans over here. Surely you know someone who would let you make use of their hose "discreetly"?!
    nally likes this.
    For Sale -
    A3 rear wiper motor and arm
    A3 air vents
    56plate A3 S-Line full speaker system including amp

MPG the new BPH

Status
    dont think its affecting me but if so i am going for chemical guys eco wash and some buckets

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

3rd Gear

Status
    Watering can and snow foam in a pump sprayer

MPG the new BPH

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Watering can and snow foam in a pump sprayer
    good shout on the watering can

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

5th Gear

Status
    Its certainly going to take place in my area and surrounding areas. I wash my car weekly, My friends near by will also have the same problem so the only option is take up the eco washing :/

Going to order chemical guys eco wash to but im stuck between ONR and ECO wash....Im worried even being careful the lack of proper foam and being able to pressure wash the dirt off will cause swirls

i have a pump sprayer so im probably going to use the pump sprayer to try and spray off most of the dirt off a panel before i hit it with the ONR or Eco wash.

Wonder what the pros like juicy and polished bliss would suggest.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Audi Novice

Status
    Thanks for the answers, would have to ask if a pressure water is covered by the ban I assume so!

It's funny that I can run my hose to my driveway to fill up a bucket/watering can, but I'm not actually allowed to use it on my car!
    nally likes this.
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

6th Gear

Status
    ive offerd to use my pisss on a neighbours beemer if it happens here.And when it rains theyll whinge about flooding.Never bbloody satisfied.
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

6th Gear

Status
    i also have my own hose pipe ban at home cos i forgot to buy her a birthday card.
    nally likes this.
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

5th Gear

Status
    You could use something like this using reclaimed water/filled up before washing car.

http://m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/nav/...n_jtt_redirect
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

1st Gear

Status
    I think the ban is just on hose pipes without some sort of device to control the water flow. so has a have a trigger or something.

If I can't be arsed getting the hose pipe out and setting the jet wash up for that matter i will just fill the bucket with warm water, put the sponge in and squeeze it over the car to soak in. re fill with shampoo and warm water , wash it. then rinse it off with pure water squeezing the sponge over the car or i will throw the water at it ! easy

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    It's funny that I can run my hose to my driveway to fill up a bucket/watering can, but I'm not actually allowed to use it on my car!
    I don't think that's allowed. Have a look at Frequently asked questions - Drought - Thames Water

I would assume it will be the same as:

Can I still water my lawn and plants with a watering can?
    Yes, as long as the can has not been filled using a hosepipe.
    As a suggestion, I have two 190 litre water butts daisy chained together. I got them discounted from the local council. One night's rain fills both of them. I live in a very hard water area so it's actually better to use the rain water from the water butts to rinse the car as it doesn't leave water spots. I do this either with a watering can or by connecting my Karcher pressure washer and using a low pressure rinse. So if you have a drain pipe you can connect them to I'd recommend this approach as it works well.

Audi Novice

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    As a suggestion, I have two 190 litre water butts daisy chained together.
    I've got a smallish water butt that has the tap open permenantly and a hose leading to a man hole to drain the water away!
    Maybe I should just get a bigger butt (Sir Mix-A-Lot - I like big butts ( Official Music Video ) - YouTube) and use that. what about filtering the water on the way into the butt to stop moss etc from dropping through?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    what about filtering the water on the way into the butt to stop moss etc from dropping through?
    I don't currently have a filter on mine but I read you can use an old pair of tights and put that over the incoming pipe to catch the crap off the roof.

On the two I have the tap is not right at the bottom which means the sediment from the roof settles to the bottom but doesn't come out the tap. Also, I clean them out once a year with the pressure washer (oh the irony)! The connecting pipe between the two water butts is near the top, which means the second one has no sediment in it (as it has all settled on the bottom of tank #1).

More here:

water butt install - Detailing World

You'll see I've already been there. So my top tip is if you have a Hozelock style water butt tap, it shouldn't leak! The whole Eco Friendly Detailing forum is worth a read as it has lots of suggestions on less water washing.

Audi Novice

Status
    Ah haa!
    So I can replace the one around the back for the garden, and install one at the front to wash my car with.
    Sounds like a plan .... how will the missus feel about a 210L water butt sitting outside the front door? hmmm! Next problem! :D

3rd Gear

Status
    Hosepipe bans? My word, it's grim down South.

You lot want to head North. Once you get to about Manchester you can have as much water as you'd like, and none of that limey crap you get either... it's all properly filtered Lake District spring water up here.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

wax on, wax off

Status
    A rinse with a watering can followed by ONR served me well in the last ban.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (32oz) - Shinearama

loads of places stock it now.
    A4 B6 1.9 tdi 130. Slowly modding but don't tell the missus.
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.