Car detailing with hose pipe ban

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
So I have to ask the question, with the hose pipe ban looming in the 5th April, how are you meant to keep your car clean?

Ironic how I've just received my annual water bill, that's gone up in price shortly followed by an announcement that you are restricted on what water you can use!

Reactions: Danman1
You can still use a bucket and watering can. Also have a Google for "optimum no rinse".

It is only for private households so I can use it at my sisters industrial unit?

Thank feck we never get hosepipe bans over here. Surely you know someone who would let you make use of their hose "discreetly"?!

Reactions: nally
dont think its affecting me but if so i am going for chemical guys eco wash and some buckets

Its certainly going to take place in my area and surrounding areas. I wash my car weekly, My friends near by will also have the same problem so the only option is take up the eco washing :/

Going to order chemical guys eco wash to but im stuck between ONR and ECO wash....Im worried even being careful the lack of proper foam and being able to pressure wash the dirt off will cause swirls :(

i have a pump sprayer so im probably going to use the pump sprayer to try and spray off most of the dirt off a panel before i hit it with the ONR or Eco wash.

Wonder what the pros like juicy and polished bliss would suggest.

Thanks for the answers, would have to ask if a pressure water is covered by the ban I assume so!

It's funny that I can run my hose to my driveway to fill up a bucket/watering can, but I'm not actually allowed to use it on my car!

ive offerd to use my pisss on a neighbours beemer if it happens here.And when it rains theyll whinge about flooding.Never bbloody satisfied.

i also have my own hose pipe ban at home cos i forgot to buy her a birthday card.

I think the ban is just on hose pipes without some sort of device to control the water flow. so has a have a trigger or something.

If I can't be ***** getting the hose pipe out and setting the jet wash up for that matter i will just fill the bucket with warm water, put the sponge in and squeeze it over the car to soak in. re fill with shampoo and warm water , wash it. then rinse it off with pure water squeezing the sponge over the car or i will throw the water at it ! easy

It's funny that I can run my hose to my driveway to fill up a bucket/watering can, but I'm not actually allowed to use it on my car!

I don't think that's allowed. Have a look at Frequently asked questions - Drought - Thames Water

I would assume it will be the same as:

Can I still water my lawn and plants with a watering can?
Yes, as long as the can has not been filled using a hosepipe.

As a suggestion, I have two 190 litre water butts daisy chained together. I got them discounted from the local council. One night's rain fills both of them. I live in a very hard water area so it's actually better to use the rain water from the water butts to rinse the car as it doesn't leave water spots. I do this either with a watering can or by connecting my Karcher pressure washer and using a low pressure rinse. So if you have a drain pipe you can connect them to I'd recommend this approach as it works well.

what about filtering the water on the way into the butt to stop moss etc from dropping through?

I don't currently have a filter on mine but I read you can use an old pair of tights and put that over the incoming pipe to catch the crap off the roof.

On the two I have the tap is not right at the bottom which means the sediment from the roof settles to the bottom but doesn't come out the tap. Also, I clean them out once a year with the pressure washer (oh the irony)! The connecting pipe between the two water butts is near the top, which means the second one has no sediment in it (as it has all settled on the bottom of tank #1).

More here:

water butt install - Detailing World

You'll see I've already been there. :) So my top tip is if you have a Hozelock style water butt tap, it shouldn't leak! The whole Eco Friendly Detailing forum is worth a read as it has lots of suggestions on less water washing.

Ah haa!
So I can replace the one around the back for the garden, and install one at the front to wash my car with.
Sounds like a plan .... how will the missus feel about a 210L water butt sitting outside the front door? hmmm! Next problem! :D

Hosepipe bans? My word, it's grim down South.

You lot want to head North. Once you get to about Manchester you can have as much water as you'd like, and none of that limey crap you get either... it's all properly filtered Lake District spring water up here.