Polishing head (pad)?

S3featesV9

Reaction score
Can any recommend me a decent polishing pad for my polishing machine?

The ones I've got literally look and feel like the foam you'd find in ur car seats lol. So I'd rather not use them.

Umm a dynamo 1200w just a cheapish one off eBay. Be a first time user so didn't see the point in breaking the bank on one just yet.

It's 6 speed ratings and a slow start setting. Thread size is M14x2 if that helps.

If you're using a rotary polisher to lose your detailing virginity mate, I'd get a practice panel first. Not saying you will, but it's easy to mess up with a rotary polisher.

Sounds like its a rotary given the thread size. The first polisher I bought was a rotary used it on my civic paint very soft. You would probably be best of with a da but but you have a rotary.

Best advice take it very slow and easy nothing to aggressive pad and polish wise keep to small sections 18"x18" and work the polish in at low speeds probably wouldn't go over number 3, make sure the polish is broken down just take your time and I'm sure you will be fine take extra care on plastic painted bumpers, i think they retain heat from the polisher more so than the metal panels (someone will confirm) you don't want heat to build up and the polish go up in a puff of smoke followed by the paint bubbling. Done this to a part on my civic that was due to be painted....

Yep M14 is a rotary fitment.

To give you a bit of advice I have a Festool rotary setting go from 1 to 6, however I never ever go above 2. Mine starts at 600 which generally most rotary's start at 1000 therefore you can see that you really do not need to yank up the speed to high because your working in tandem with the polish and pad to create the correction you need.

Ideally yes you should be starting with a dual action polisher as this will educate you in the way to control a polishing machine, how different pad/polish combinations work. But having said that a rotary works differently to a da and you have to be fully aware 100% of the time.

I'd say get a scrap panel first and practice for taking a jump on your pride and joy

Thanks for all your advice, did a practice on my bros old fiesta.

Your right in saying I dont need to go above setting 2.

Explode??

Jen, what polish do YOU recommend me to use? Car is Ming blue. I'm currently using poor boys black hole glaze. Only ever used this by hand. Wondering If there is something else I should/could be using with the rotary?

I'd go for some Menz Polishes. Worked very well on my Brilliant Blau A4. Some Power Finish (RD3.02) if it's heavily swirled or some Power Finish (203S) if it's not so bad on a Megs cutting pad (maroon) to remove the swirling and then to refine and add some gloss use Super Finish (85RE) on a Megs Finishing pad (black)

This gave me excellent results.

Last edited:
Here is the result from just using the RD3.02 for 1 pass with the rotary.

DSC00849.jpg

Using ipa to wipe the panel will remove any residue and show any or swirls that haven't been fully corrected.