Detail comming up... Bit of advice first though.

S3 Rav

Reaction score
Right, I'm due to give the s3 a big detail later next month but looking for abit of advice to make the most of it.
I currently have a lot of the gear, foam lance, hyperwash, etc etc. I use the backfire paint protection and blackfire wax. I would like to know what's the best way to apply the paint sealant in particular how long between multiple layers, few hours or minutes?
Also the best way to apply multiple layers of the wax. Ideally I want to apply about 2-3 layers or sealant then a couple layers of wax to the finish with the top up blackfire spray.
What do people think about the best ways to apply.
Many thanks.
Rav

Ps these were the results of my last detail

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/92268-abit-late-but-here-we-go-gentle.html

I'm not sure I'd apply wax onto a sealant. Sealant has better protection properties than a wax, and gives more definition in the shine.

Half hour for first coat, 15 minutes for next coats of sealant should be fine.

Warren the blackfire stuff is designed to work with each other. Obv the sealant does a better job of protecting but wax will and does def give a nice finish ontop. That's why I bought the blackfire stuff as their designed to work with each other depending on what you want to achieve.

Fair do's mate, be interested to see the results. When I was looking to buy my kit I kept reading On detailing forums how wax 'yellowed' the finish and removed some of the depth in the shine so I got Blacklight sealant and V7 spray. if its been made to work together it should be fine.

Yea saw the results of your detail. The panther black really looks good mate.

wax over sealent allways as the sealent gives good shine with small protection and the wax gives better protection

try detailing world or polished bliss little warning if going on detailing world be preparied to have no life after visiting lol been on there for over a year before that cleaning my car used to take roughly 3-4 hours now takes 16-18 hours due to all the different techs and different products to use

Hello mate yea have been a member of Dw world for about 4 years and brought all of my stuff from polished bliss. Was just wondering what people on here do. I've detailed in the past and just looking for other peoples techniques. A quick wash for the s3 yesterday turned into a 5 hour wash lol!

The main point of the thread was more so to see what the best timing was between applications of waxs and sealants really.

its all about the prep like a good spray job you gotta make your paint as good as possible before applying products througher wash then apply products to remove contamiments like APC tardis iron X then re-wash good clay re-wash then pre wax cleaner like lime prime before you apply your chosen sealants and wax idealy machine polish before applying product but you can achieve good results by hand if you put the effort in
this was my car after simular process but used duragloss as a polish then dodo supernatural all by hand no machine work under lights indoors there are some minor swirls but still good results

44870_421322838921_739318921_5059901_6199556_n.jpg

253626_10150211895578922_739318921_7505631_6821779_n.jpg

Reactions: FranA3
Cheers bud. Yea on my last detail I did clay but there was no iron x back in those days (or not that I could remember). I will use iron x and tardis this time as well as the clay. Will also purchase some ipa to wipe of any excess oils before the sealing process. With regards to polishing etc I already use the g220 with the hard kit from polished bliss.

forgot to mention IPA lol nice one only really need to tardis n iron X the lowers as tar an iron deposits from brakes tend to stay down there
good prep will make all the differance when we do a car the wash stage norm last bowt 4-5hrs then hour or two claying before she washed again and wheeled inside for the machine work to start

Generally sealants do not need long to cure as the properties are synthetic, where as with waxes you should leave a minimum of 24 hours between coats to let the gases release and allow it to cure properly.

Sealant before wax always.

As for the level of durability this really depends on the products used therefore stating that a wax or a sealant lasts longer than another can not really be given a generic answer.

At the end of day which has already been mentioned you'll only get the best from a wax, sealant or both if the preparation time has been put in. These products simply reflect the below surface ie it's a lens that magnifies the paintwork.

It might just be me but lately I find I am not worried about durability. The reason? I get bored and want to try something new but find if the paint is still protected I don't want to strip back a good, working protection just so I can put something new on. :)

It might just be me but lately I find I am not worried about durability. The reason? I get bored and want to try something new but find if the paint is still protected I don't want to strip back a good, working protection just so I can put something new on. :)

I'm the same, not bothered with durability as in the summer I'm always tinkering with different products, only in the winter I need a durable wax