Air Conditioning Cleaner & Leather Upholstery

mjsewell

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought an aerosol of Comma Air Conditioning Cleaner which claims to kill bacteria, viruses and odours in the aircon system. It looks simple enough to use but I'm just concerned about leaving the can spewing it's contents all over the leather upholstery in the car for 10 minutes whilst it does it's job.

There doesn't appear to be any warnings in the instructions, other than to "wipe off any moisture that appears on the dashboard or fittings" . I'd test some on the base of one of the seats but it's a one-shot spray so once you start spraying it carries on spraying until it's empty.

Has anyone used one of these (or similar) before or heard anything dodgy?

Cheers!

Yes, I got the blue can from halfords, cant remember the name.
Put it behind the folded forward passengers seat and let it do its business.
Have Alcantara/Leather seats and did not cause any probs,
just needed a wet cloth clean on the back of the seat & armrest to remove some residue.

Certainly made the aircon smell nicer, vanilla for a month or so, then nothing.
Still, didn't do anything for cooling power.

Would definatley use it again,

Neil.

I looked at this comma air con cleaner stuff, which is cheap to buy however I dont think it removes the bacteria from your system, Theres a link here somewhere on how to properly clean your air-con system (A PDF for the dealers) and the proper stuff to clean your aircon is called airsept (Audi dealers use this)

I made some enquiries and the Airsept kit comes with an airline connector and applicator and the kit includes 4 doses and costs about £100, so if four people buy it between them it would work out at £25 per person, which is a lot cheaper than what the stealers would charge, the only thing is you need an airline (compressed air) which I have, if anyones intrested in this send me a PM, Im based in Manchester.

wicked666 - where do you reckon you spray this stuff, it says 'Simply spray into the air inlet for one minute' and shows it being done internally, not in the engine bay?

haven't a clue. just did sa quick google. the pic confused me too.

my brother did it on his car, not sure what product he used, but he said it spued nasty black s4ite out of the blowers ??? although other people say they used it and its been fine, i would suggest, as its not an upholstry cleaner, putting dust sheets or old blankets over your seats....

Yep, you've definitely got to cover up.

As Neil suggested in his original reply, I moved the front passenger seat as far forward as I could get it on the runners and then titled it forward. Turned the aircon onto full power (cold) and recirculation. Put the can of cleaner (Comma) in the footwell, hit the button and ran. It pumped out the cleaner for a couple of minutes and I left the aircon going for ten minutes after it finished.

When I got back in the rear seat, back of the passenger seat, rear nearside door, rear carpet and window were drenched. Cleaned it all off with a damp cloth and then a dry cloth with no ill effects on my leather upholstery.

Got a tiny bit of moisture out of the centre front vents initially but only in the first few minutes.

If I were to do it again (and I will), I'd cover the rear seat and the back of the passenger seat with something thick, like a blanket as the cloths I used were soaked. Maybe I just got a dodgy aerosol as I got a couple of them off eBay.

Whether it killed any nasties, I don't know. The Comma product says it's bacteriacidal but, without testing it at a lab somewhere, who knows? But it definitely smelt better on startup for a month, or so.

Hope that helps.

Matthew