New car detailing

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm pleased to say I'll be picking my new car up this weekend. But I have a few concerns about some cleaning aspects.

First is the alloys

audi-a4-2011-ibis-white-saloon-2-0tfsi-quattro-dynamik-3c953941ce2bc4dd93d96d01b527184a-m2.jpg

What should I use to get them clean? I currently use meguairs wheel brightener, is that too harsh for this diamond cut alloy?

Also I've chosen not to buy there £349 exterior protection and scotch guard treatment. Is this a wise choice?
I have a whole range of stuff at home, mostly AutoGlym super resin, extra gloss etc. I do have some Diamond Brite stage 1, 2 and conservor as well. What are peoples thoughts on these? Should I be using something else?

I have considered snow foam as well, but my drive slopes downwards towards my back gate, and my garden after the gate slopes downwards, so pretty much would end up with a white garden at the end!

Any advice is gratefully received.

Yes its a wise choice not to get them to apply it think the interior stuff is ok but, there are far better products on the market these days and at a lot better price too, i opted out of the £350 supergaurd application and spent a few £££ on gtechniq stuff, polishes and pads.

As for the wheels i guess something that is not acidic a lot of people use valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner not tried it my self. I use autosmart smart wheels and wolfs clean and coat for my winter wheels and for my summer wheels since protecting with C5 i just use shampoo...

Nice choice in vehicle!

Also greats choice not getting the garage treatment. For the same price or less a detailer local to you should be able to do a new car protection. Removing and of the factory defects. Then protecting the vehicle for you.

Unlike the garage who just fling the protection over all the factory defects.

Hope that helps.

Looking forward to seeing the collection thread.

Alan

That's a bit different from the Solar David!

As others have mention I wouldn't opt for the exterior protection, save your money and get something else decent on the market. Either get some products yourself and treat it if you have the time or a respected detailer to do the job for you.

For the alloys I would get them off; cleaned; clayed and protected. This will make the job of general cleaning alot easier....Bilberry is a good option as it comes concentrated and you can dilute down to the strength required, ie if the alloys are protected you only need a weak solution.

That's a bit different from the Solar David!

Yeah bit of a change, I drove a sprint blue one on Saturday morning, and while it was nice it just hasn't got everything I wanted spec wise, so drove for 2.5 hours to another garage and ended up buying an A4 TDi in Quartz Grey!

What would you recommend for the protection?
I'm building up a shopping list of stuff:

Collinite 476s was on the list for both the alloys and bodywork.
Bilt Hamber Auto-Clay Soft not sure on which lube yet.
The Meg's is concentrate and I've not got loads left so will move onto bilberry after.

Just hope for some nice weather in feb so I can give spend a day doing it!

Quartz Grey is a nice colour...you need a little box of tricks for that now!!!

How often do you have to work on the car?

Bilt Hamber doesnt need a specific lube as it works with water :)

How often do you have to work on the car?

That depends on the missus and what projects she has lined up around the house.
If I can it'll get washed weekly, full works treatment probably once every 1/2 months if I'm honest.

I would like to get a decent base down on the car when I can as it's new.

You said about a respected detailer, can't say I know of any around my neck of the woods, IMO if a detailer as a rusted old poo heap of a van that carries there stuff around in, then they ain't much of a detailer. And most are like that!

What little box of tricks do you have in mind?

That depends on the missus and what projects she has lined up around the house.
If I can it'll get washed weekly, full works treatment probably once every 1/2 months if I'm honest.

I would like to get a decent base down on the car when I can as it's new.

You said about a respected detailer, can't say I know of any around my neck of the woods, IMO if a detailer as a rusted old poo heap of a van that carries there stuff around in, then they ain't much of a detailer. And most are like that!

What little box of tricks do you have in mind?

Lol household DIY sounds like fun!

TBH the Collinite waxes are good for durability although they do not offer the best in respect of looks, if it was me I would go for clay, Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze and then Chemical Guys Black Light Radient Finish (sealant) and top off with Chemical Guys Hybrid V7

What engine is in the A4 2.0 lit 140/170?

+1 for the Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner. Love the stuff.

I couldnt agree with Jen more as she says above for the Wheels,
Get them off most importantly, cleaned throughly, Clayed, a quick lick of some polish to bring up the shine of the black, then get yourself some ***FishCare FK1000P*** = This stuff is awsome. ive used this for wheels the whole time also stainless steel exhausts and polished Rocker Covers. Its temperature resistant to 250'oC as they use it on show planes !!
Dont forget your Alloys will get hot too, after a long drive and lots of braking, hence why brake dust beds in and is a nightmare to get off when your wheels are cold !! so Give your wheels a good coat with this stuff inside and out and you wont need to wax them again for 4-5 months !!!
I had 18' Lenzo's on my old car, black insert with a Diamond cut face kinda like yours, and i didnt need to give my wheels no more then a blast with the power hose with this stuff on !
I couldnt recommend it more.

Padraic

Lol household DIY sounds like fun!

TBH the Collinite waxes are good for durability although they do not offer the best in respect of looks, if it was me I would go for clay, Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze and then Chemical Guys Black Light Radient Finish (sealant) and top off with Chemical Guys Hybrid V7

What engine is in the A4 2.0 lit 140/170?

Thank Jen your advice is much appreciated.

It's the 170 of course! They released the Dynamiks last march with a 2.0TFSI engine, and they didn't sell that well, so they've re-released them with the 2.0 TDi 170 engine.

+1 for the Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner. Love the stuff.

I couldnt agree with Jen more as she says above for the Wheels,
Get them off most importantly, cleaned throughly, Clayed, a quick lick of some polish to bring up the shine of the black, then get yourself some ***FishCare FK1000P*** = This stuff is awsome. ive used this for wheels the whole time also stainless steel exhausts and polished Rocker Covers. Its temperature resistant to 250'oC as they use it on show planes !!
Dont forget your Alloys will get hot too, after a long drive and lots of braking, hence why brake dust beds in and is a nightmare to get off when your wheels are cold !! so Give your wheels a good coat with this stuff inside and out and you wont need to wax them again for 4-5 months !!!
I had 18' Lenzo's on my old car, black insert with a Diamond cut face kinda like yours, and i didnt need to give my wheels no more then a blast with the power hose with this stuff on !
I couldnt recommend it more.

Padraic

Thank you, I'll have a read up about it!

Looks like my list it getting bigger, and more expensive!

Thank Jen your advice is much appreciated.

It's the 170 of course! They released the Dynamiks last march with a 2.0TFSI engine, and they didn't sell that well, so they've re-released them with the 2.0 TDi 170 engine.

Good good! I had a Seat Leon with the same engine last year and once it was run in (I had a face like a busted welly as Andrew likes to tell me after I gave up my stage 2 Astra VXR for it!) nice gain from the engine up to 210bhp and proven on a rolling road

Diesel Tuning box for Audi A4 2.0 Tdi 170ps Cr Stage 2 (crd-t)

We've got offers on for ASN members....

As for alloy protection there are lots around chemical guys wheel guard, Prima wheel armour, Gtechniq c5, and even Chemical guys jetseal 109 which can be used on the paintwork as well

i use auto glym clean wheels for my wheels same as these no probs makes it beautiful and spray on auto glym alloy wheel seal and rub it in well with a cloth and leave it for the perfect shine, thats what i do with my wheels the same as these ones :)

Thanks Jen, although very sceptical about a universal plug in box actually making a difference. I might look at a remap later on when the engine has loosened up.
When's the solar baby arriving?

Well you see that's where your assumption is wrong that this is a universal one fits all as we have over 12 different modules to fit various vehicles and the software is bespoke. As well as us getting maps from Germany we also do research and development ourselves to enhance on what they offer. The particular maps in fact on the module for your engine was designed by Andrew and myself on the Leon ....take a look at the testimonials. We've done quite a bit of work over on a scirocco forum on the same engine and they were sceptical at first too but after seeing the results they have changed their minds.

"The Jaffa" is arriving Friday :D

Now up to about £120 worth of stuff sitting in my 'cart' this detailing stuff is expensive!

Any thoughts on the Auto Finesse Citrus Vs Snow Foam?

Now up to about £120 worth of stuff sitting in my 'cart' this detailing stuff is expensive!

Any thoughts on the Auto Finesse Citrus Vs Snow Foam?

PB but a great video on about its effectiveness but personally, i think it depends how long your gonna let the car go without a wash. If your the type to wash every week, then the snow foam as a pre-wash seems to be the way to go.

However, if you live in an are that gets badly affected with the winter elements building up on your car as demonstrated in the PB video, it might be worth you investing in the auto finesse for those stains the snow foam won't help get rid of.

I definitely hear you on the cost, but its gonna be worth every penny mate and its a lifelong skill you learn. If the highly polished look from a detailing doesn't turn heads with your car, i don't think anything else would lol

I think a 300 quid budget for both the inside and outside products is about right. Just try to look at how many years your gonna be able to use it over for the main products and also on perhaps mutilple cars if you got others you want to detail.