S3 Detail

Juicy Jen

Jen @ Juicy Detailing
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.juicydetailing.co.uk
This is an old one now that I completed back in April last year but never posted on here....

At long last I have completed my mammoth detail on the now once again black beauty that is my Audi S3. This car has been my most mentally and physically challenging detail so far and redefined alot of the techniques that I have used in the past to adapt to make this one work.

The car was purchased in December 2010 and both Andrew and I were shocked with the state of the paintwork that we had seen in the showroom. It was agreed with the dealer that we got a reduced price and that we would collect the car unprepared from the garage, however they seemed to of ignored this last request :roll:

So here's the story of how the car has evolved over the last three months when I've have time inbetween running Juicy Detailing, working for DTUK, the house, the kids and the new black labrador pup!

Process started off as usual, Juicy snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash using a lambswool wash mitt and a small detailing brush to get in all the nooks and crannies on the car, then a final rinse

167271_10150369194505177_612765176_16695127_1933113_n.jpg

Leaving the car wet it was then clayed using a fine yellow poly clay bar and Juicy Lube, washed again using 2 bucket method and then brought in to the unit and dried using Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel.

It was now time to assess the state of the paintwork and to be honest some of it you didnt even need the halogen lights for. This is a good example of how black can look lovely and shiny but when you REALLY LOOK :eek:

The bonnet
audis316.jpg

audis39.jpg

audis310.jpg

audis37.jpg

Passenger front wing
audis335.jpg

audis334.jpg

Drivers side wing
audis311.jpg

Drivers side
audis312.jpg

audis313.jpg

Drivers side rear quarter
audis317.jpg

audis319.jpg

audis318.jpg

audis322.jpg

Boot - not the best picture
audis323.jpg

Passenger side
audis328.jpg

audis329.jpg

audis331.jpg

audis333.jpg

Roof
audis324.jpg

audis326.jpg

Paint readings were then taken and they varied vastly from 64 up to 143. This meant that each panel had to be treated carefully to ensure that the levels were not taken too low and cause detrimental damage to the paintwork. Some areas could not be corrected to the extent that I would of liked without compromising the paint therefore you'll see that the end result still shows some scratches.

So moving on the car was taped up ready to move to the correcting stage...
audis339.jpg

audis340.jpg

audis341.jpg

The polishes that were used was 3M Fast Cut Plus, 3M Extra Fine and 3M Ultrafina in combination with a range of wool, hex logic and 3M pads depending on the areas that were tackled. The weapon of choice was Dodo Juice Spin Doctor and at the end testing out a Festool to see how the machines compared and how the results differed. Some areas needed the use of the DAS 6 for refining.....I encountered various issues such as the cloths scratching the paint even though Audi is a hard paint so changed to using EuroW Shag weave buffing cloths which helped alot, micromaring where I was unable to refine down enough, but eventually resolved due to changing techniques. Each panel was wiped down with IPA several times to ensure that the oil's were not filling the swirls and a final wipe down on the whole car at the end.

Couple of 50/50 from the bonnet
audis343.jpg

(not sure what the white mark is perhaps something on the camera??)

audis347.jpg

Flecks starting to pop and you can notice that the black has been restored rather than looking dulled
audis350.jpg

Side panel
audis363.jpg

audis368.jpg

audis376.jpg

Reactions: FranA3
audis376.jpg

Photo's from now on as it was proving a tough task. The wheels were also given some tlc...covered in tar and general muck...
audis3.jpg

audis31.jpg

All done
audis32.jpg

audis33.jpg

So as this correction had been done over a long time the car has some fairly hard specs of polish so decided to give it a gentle wash using Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo and a detailing brush to get in all the edges, badges, grill etc that were holding on to the polish. Taken back into the unit and dried.

I applied Chemical Guys Ez Creme Glaze using a EuroW Microfibre Applicator and buffed off using EuroW Shag Weave Cloth and finally to give the car the treat it deserved used Swissvax Crystal Rock

audis388.jpg

And this is how she stood in the end definitely now a sparkling stallon

audis3142.jpg

Passenger wing
audis390.jpg

audis3131.jpg

Passenger side

audis3123.jpg

audis3121.jpg

audis3130.jpg

Drivers wing and door
audis398.jpg

audis397.jpg

Drivers side
audis394.jpg

audis392.jpg

Bonnet - still has some deep scratches in it and numerous chips
audis3101.jpg

Last edited:
The Roof
audis3115.jpg

audis3118.jpg

audis383.jpg

audis3113.jpg

audis3114.jpg

Few randoms
audis3134.jpg

audis3136.jpg

audis3145.jpg

audis3146.jpg

audis381.jpg

As i finished the car late on in the day the sun was beginning to go down so the outside shots are not quite as good as they could be...

audis3175.jpg

audis3176.jpg

audis3177.jpg

audis3184.jpg

audis3185.jpg

audis3187.jpg

audis3181.jpg

audis3178.jpg

audis3173.jpg

Oh you missed a bit :lol:
audis3182.jpg

The final touch ;)
audis3172.jpg

If you got this far thankyou for reading!!!!

Reactions: Babszee
That looks awesome Jen! nice write up, wish I had some indoor space at this time of year :(

That looks awesome Jen! nice write up, wish I had some indoor space at this time of year :(

Thanks although to be honest its absolutely freezing at the moment....im sat here with 5 layers on!
Stunning work, Jen! :wub: xx

Thanks hun yours is looking rather tasty now especially that RS3 grill ;) I wanted to pick your brains actually so I'll drop you a pm

Thanks although to be honest its absolutely freezing at the moment....im sat here with 5 layers on!

Thanks hun yours is looking rather tasty now especially that RS3 grill ;) I wanted to pick your brains actually so I'll drop you a pm

Anytime, Jen. :wub: x

cracking work jen seen this on your site. my a3 has verry similar cobwebbing will jetseal and a good glaze hide this?

awesome job jennifer looks top job sad to see cars like that in that condition isn't it , cant wait for the weather to improve so i can prepare mine for the show season .x

What did the previous owner use to clean it??! Jif, a Brillo and sandpaper!

Amazing transformation.

Amazing transformation.
common to see paint like that seen countless amount of paint in that state now , most don't know how to safely wash there cars or don't care about them so take them to the "local" car wash lol

common to see paint like that seen countless amount of paint in that state now , most don't know how to safely wash there cars or don't care about them so take them to the "local" car wash lol

Fair call. I don't know whether it's because I was skint and destitute in my youth, but I've always taken a pride in the things I own. Would break my heart to leave my car till it got in that state!

Fair call. I don't know whether it's because I was skint and destitute in my youth, but I've always taken a pride in the things I own. Would break my heart to leave my car till it got in that state!
I'm exactly the same matey i do try and take care of the thing i own and i appreciate everything I've got a lot of people haven't got the things like we have got

my name is ivan i clean car for you whist smoking and pretending not to perv on your women.

back in the days when i had no idear about propper detaling. i think the ex owner of mine done the same cobweb central :banghead:
just orders some poorboys black hole + some jetseal 109 cant wait just hope it works

what you have got to remember to getting a good shine preparation is the key

ps ...
sorry for the hijack jen lol

cracking work jen seen this on your site. my a3 has verry similar cobwebbing will jetseal and a good glaze hide this?

Thanks :icon_thumright: TBH if your car is that bad your probably going to be hard pushed to mask the swirls using a glaze even with PB BH it will certainly be better. You might want to consider Supernatural Hybrid paste too as that has some filling capabilities.

awesome job jennifer looks top job sad to see cars like that in that condition isn't it , cant wait for the weather to improve so i can prepare mine for the show season .x

Thanks Fran :kiss: I'm itching to get working on some cars again, got quite a few rebooked for Feb/march

Amazing transformation.

Thanks :D this is probably just the results of an automatic car wash and those nice hard brushes the locals use!

amazing transformation..! I think our valeters at work need some lessons..!

Cheers, anytime they want some tips let me know :thumbsup:

Fantastic job Jen colour really stands out now - cracking car!!