Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Juicy Jen
  • 1 Post By Juicy Jen

Thread: S3 Detail

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status

S3 Detail

This is an old one now that I completed back in April last year but never posted on here....

At long last I have completed my mammoth detail on the now once again black beauty that is my Audi S3. This car has been my most mentally and physically challenging detail so far and redefined alot of the techniques that I have used in the past to adapt to make this one work.

The car was purchased in December 2010 and both Andrew and I were shocked with the state of the paintwork that we had seen in the showroom. It was agreed with the dealer that we got a reduced price and that we would collect the car unprepared from the garage, however they seemed to of ignored this last request :roll:

So here's the story of how the car has evolved over the last three months when I've have time inbetween running Juicy Detailing, working for DTUK, the house, the kids and the new black labrador pup!

Process started off as usual, Juicy snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash using a lambswool wash mitt and a small detailing brush to get in all the nooks and crannies on the car, then a final rinse

Leaving the car wet it was then clayed using a fine yellow poly clay bar and Juicy Lube, washed again using 2 bucket method and then brought in to the unit and dried using Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel.

It was now time to assess the state of the paintwork and to be honest some of it you didnt even need the halogen lights for. This is a good example of how black can look lovely and shiny but when you REALLY LOOK :eek:

The bonnet

Passenger front wing

Drivers side wing

Drivers side

Drivers side rear quarter

Boot - not the best picture

Passenger side

Roof

Paint readings were then taken and they varied vastly from 64 up to 143. This meant that each panel had to be treated carefully to ensure that the levels were not taken too low and cause detrimental damage to the paintwork. Some areas could not be corrected to the extent that I would of liked without compromising the paint therefore you'll see that the end result still shows some scratches.

So moving on the car was taped up ready to move to the correcting stage...

The polishes that were used was 3M Fast Cut Plus, 3M Extra Fine and 3M Ultrafina in combination with a range of wool, hex logic and 3M pads depending on the areas that were tackled. The weapon of choice was Dodo Juice Spin Doctor and at the end testing out a Festool to see how the machines compared and how the results differed. Some areas needed the use of the DAS 6 for refining.....I encountered various issues such as the cloths scratching the paint even though Audi is a hard paint so changed to using EuroW Shag weave buffing cloths which helped alot, micromaring where I was unable to refine down enough, but eventually resolved due to changing techniques. Each panel was wiped down with IPA several times to ensure that the oil's were not filling the swirls and a final wipe down on the whole car at the end.

Couple of 50/50 from the bonnet

(not sure what the white mark is perhaps something on the camera??)

Flecks starting to pop and you can notice that the black has been restored rather than looking dulled

Side panel

FranA3 likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status

Photo's from now on as it was proving a tough task. The wheels were also given some tlc...covered in tar and general muck...

All done

So as this correction had been done over a long time the car has some fairly hard specs of polish so decided to give it a gentle wash using Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo and a detailing brush to get in all the edges, badges, grill etc that were holding on to the polish. Taken back into the unit and dried.

I applied Chemical Guys Ez Creme Glaze using a EuroW Microfibre Applicator and buffed off using EuroW Shag Weave Cloth and finally to give the car the treat it deserved used Swissvax Crystal Rock

And this is how she stood in the end definitely now a sparkling stallon

Passenger wing

Passenger side

Drivers wing and door

Drivers side

Bonnet - still has some deep scratches in it and numerous chips
    Last edited by Juicy Jen; 6th January 2012 at 11:31.

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    The Roof

Few randoms

As i finished the car late on in the day the sun was beginning to go down so the outside shots are not quite as good as they could be...

Oh you missed a bit :lol:

The final touch

If you got this far thankyou for reading!!!!
    Babszee likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    That looks awesome Jen! nice write up, wish I had some indoor space at this time of year

Banana Menace!

Status
    Stunning work, Jen! xx
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    That looks awesome Jen! nice write up, wish I had some indoor space at this time of year
    Thanks although to be honest its absolutely freezing at the moment....im sat here with 5 layers on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paullie View Post
    Stunning work, Jen! xx
    Thanks hun yours is looking rather tasty now especially that RS3 grill I wanted to pick your brains actually so I'll drop you a pm

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy Jen View Post
    Thanks although to be honest its absolutely freezing at the moment....im sat here with 5 layers on!

Thanks hun yours is looking rather tasty now especially that RS3 grill I wanted to pick your brains actually so I'll drop you a pm
    Anytime, Jen. x
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    cracking work jen seen this on your site. my a3 has verry similar cobwebbing will jetseal and a good glaze hide this?

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

events moderator

Status
    awesome job jennifer looks top job sad to see cars like that in that condition isn't it , cant wait for the weather to improve so i can prepare mine for the show season .x
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Status
    What did the previous owner use to clean it??! Jif, a Brillo and sandpaper!

Amazing transformation.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post

Amazing transformation.
    common to see paint like that seen countless amount of paint in that state now , most don't know how to safely wash there cars or don't care about them so take them to the "local" car wash lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    common to see paint like that seen countless amount of paint in that state now , most don't know how to safely wash there cars or don't care about them so take them to the "local" car wash lol
    Fair call. I don't know whether it's because I was skint and destitute in my youth, but I've always taken a pride in the things I own. Would break my heart to leave my car till it got in that state!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

events moderator

Status
    Fair call. I don't know whether it's because I was skint and destitute in my youth, but I've always taken a pride in the things I own. Would break my heart to leave my car till it got in that state!
    I'm exactly the same matey i do try and take care of the thing i own and i appreciate everything I've got a lot of people haven't got the things like we have got

MPG the new BPH

Status
    my name is ivan i clean car for you whist smoking and pretending not to perv on your women.

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nally View Post
    my name is ivan i clean car for you whist smoking and pretending not to perv on your women.
    lmfao you must have been to them before then haha

MPG the new BPH

Status
    back in the days when i had no idear about propper detaling. i think the ex owner of mine done the same cobweb central
    just orders some poorboys black hole + some jetseal 109 cant wait just hope it works

events moderator

Status
    what you have got to remember to getting a good shine preparation is the key

ps ...
    sorry for the hijack jen lol

Events Moderator

Status
    amazing transformation..! I think our valeters at work need some lessons..!
    S3 8L Ming Blue 273bhp & 294lbft h

Build/project thread
    check it out!

Jen – Juicy Detailing

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nally View Post
    cracking work jen seen this on your site. my a3 has verry similar cobwebbing will jetseal and a good glaze hide this?
    Thanks TBH if your car is that bad your probably going to be hard pushed to mask the swirls using a glaze even with PB BH it will certainly be better. You might want to consider Supernatural Hybrid paste too as that has some filling capabilities.

awesome job jennifer looks top job sad to see cars like that in that condition isn't it , cant wait for the weather to improve so i can prepare mine for the show season .x
    Thanks Fran I'm itching to get working on some cars again, got quite a few rebooked for Feb/march

Amazing transformation.
    Thanks :D this is probably just the results of an automatic car wash and those nice hard brushes the locals use!

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheD View Post
    amazing transformation..! I think our valeters at work need some lessons..!
    Cheers, anytime they want some tips let me know

Reverse Gear

Status
    Fantastic job Jen colour really stands out now - cracking car!!

Neutral

Status
    Breathtaking. I've never seen this before, brilliant work!!