DIY Wheel Refurb

S4 Muzza

oww! my giant blue head!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can find a guide to refurbishing wheels? I fancy having a go myself, something to pass the long winter nights out in the garage! So far as i can gather, i need to:

1) Sand off all the old paint down to the primer, then get some wet & dry and smooth that out.

2) Prime again and wet & dry it.

3) Add around 3 layers of spray paint. (wet & dry between each layer as well i think??)

4) Apply a gloss/sealing layer twice.

Is there any specific kind of primer i should be using and whats the paint to use? Links to the appropriate products would be much appreciated ;)

Cheers!

Correct paint match for Audi alloys is Wurth silver German alloy wheel paint and lacquer

I would stress it is difficult to get an OEM smooth high gloss finish with an aerosol can

spray is easy.

you don't have to sand back to bare metal.

just key the surface. (or untill its 100% smooth, if its kerbed) if you got deep kerb marks use a metal filler can be found in halfords about £6 a tin.

2-3 coats of primer, white or grey depends on what colour your going to spray

3-4 coats of colour

2-3 coats of clear lacquer

thats how i refurb alloys. never had a problems with the sets i've done

Thanks for the replies, i'm not really bothered if they're aren't perfect, its not my main set anyway. Just fancied trying it myself! Jay, i take it grey primer would be better for darker colours i.e. black or gunmetal etc?? And where did get the paint when you did yours in the past/ what kind do you use? Cheers

i use grey for dark colours

i use hycote spray which i buy at my local motorist discount centre. its cheapier then halfords and i find i get a better finish

couple of mine i've done in the past
DSC_0393.jpg

standard silver refurb (vaxuhall starsilver 2 before lacquer)
PICT0210.jpg

flat white
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

gloss black, 1 finished. 1 mid spray

very nice, i'm thinking about going with gloss black myself. this may be a stupid question, but do you only spray the face of the alloy? it appears in your last photo only the faces have been sprayed, not inside the alloy if you know what i mean. is this the done thing?

the face and the inside. the one on the white sheet was only just started to be sprayed. i do the faced first then the inside

very nice, i'm thinking about going with gloss black myself. this may be a stupid question, but do you only spray the face of the alloy? it appears in your last photo only the faces have been sprayed, not inside the alloy if you know what i mean. is this the done thing?

Depends on what colour the inside of the wheel is currently. I generally spray the inside black, it hides the dirt far better!

The more time you spend prepping and flatting been layers, the better the finish.

Also depending on how badly kerbed they are you may need to get the wheels re-balanced

Dont forget, when all that hard work is done guys, you will need to seal your wheels with a high temperature selant. FK 1000 P is the only way to go. Repells Brake dust like no other :) Just a quick blast of the power hose and your wheels are spotless :-D