EM TuningChris Nott

Thread: Clay Bar

5th Gear

Status

Clay Bar

Used Meguiars Quik Clay Detailing System
    at the weekend and cleaned off all the tar, bugs and grit. Came out looking like glass.

Rained before I could do a complete wax though. Got the Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax

Should do the job nicely. Anyone use this?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Clay Bar

Does the Clay Bar make any improvement on new'ish paintwork?

Ade

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Does the Clay Bar make any improvement on new'ish paintwork?

Ade

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if the paintwork has been well treated until now. Good test is to run your hands or a microfibre towel over the paintwork. If it feels like glass then you're probably ok, if it's very slightly gritty or you can see specs of dirt (bottom of door near wheelarch on mine seems to get the most) then claying would be a good idea.

A

5th Gear

Status

I'm just giving the car a good ole clean up prior to removing the swirl marks with some polish and elbow grease this coming weekend.

I will wax after then and unfortunately I have already got the NXT wax.

What's your method of removing the swirls?

4th Gear

Status

NXT produces a lovely shine but imho doesn't last as long as Megs Gold Class. It also appeared to attract the flies in the Summer, and I'm not the only one who has experienced that apparently!

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    NXT produces a lovely shine but imho doesn't last as long as Megs Gold Class. It also appeared to attract the flies in the Summer, and I'm not the only one who has experienced that apparently!

[/ QUOTE ]

Smells too damn good! I found the same ... I reckon a couple of coats of gold class and 1 of NXT to finish would look great - 3 times application time though.

A

5th Gear

Status

It's black so the swirl marks are very easy to see.

5th Gear

Status

The swirls aren't very bad but at least I notice them!!!!!

I was lead to believe I would need a polish to get rid of them prior to waxing.

imported_kris_tdi

just got myself a clay bar, only done part of a panel but so far its going well, didnt realise how much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif[/img] was in the paint.

imported_kenloen

just done my car this morning..if you were thinking about it - just go get and try. my cars paintwork was typical of a 9 year old car, felt like it had grains of sand all over when you touched it, so i used this quick clay bar - took 1 1/2 hours including washing, drying, clar bar and a wax afterwards, now the paint looks fully refreshed and feels like gloss..

the clay bar keeps turning brown when you are using and you keep having to kneed it through, where there were light scratch marks around the door handle's you can see it pulls out all the ingrain marks (and this is after a wash), so i waxed afterwards with colour magic to try and hide .... its not perfect, but 100% better than just going from straight from a wash then wax..

also i think this will last for quite a while.. i've hardly used any of the spay liquid ...

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    just done my car this morning..if you were thinking about it - just go get and try. my cars paintwork was typical of a 9 year old car, felt like it had grains of sand all over when you touched it, so i used this quick clay bar - took 1 1/2 hours including washing, drying, clar bar and a wax afterwards, now the paint looks fully refreshed and feels like gloss..

the clay bar keeps turning brown when you are using and you keep having to kneed it through, where there were light scratch marks around the door handle's you can see it pulls out all the ingrain marks (and this is after a wash), so i waxed afterwards with colour magic to try and hide .... its not perfect, but 100% better than just going from straight from a wash then wax..

also i think this will last for quite a while.. i've hardly used any of the spay liquid ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive isn't it?

As for the spray, it's just a lube so you can just use a fairly concentrated car wash solution when the spray runs out - works just as well.

Adam

Reverse Gear

Status

What is allso a good idea is to cut the clay bay into 2/3 bits, so if drop it you still have a clean bar
    but i think it is the best thing i have used to clean the paint work and remove some light scratch marks are there any good tip from any one else ?

VOIP Dude

Status

What do you guys use as a lube with the clay? I used the quick detailer stuff but I think it lubed it a little too much....

Also the clay didn't seem to get the bug splatter off, although knowing Audi's super high quality paint its probably eaten through the laquer....

5th Gear

Status

I use the quick detailer but if you run out you can use soapy water. As long as it's lubricated enough it should work well.